- Title: WRAP: Elbow bumps and Lilibet â€“ G7 leaders begin summit
- Date: 11th June 2021
- Summary: FALMOUTH, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 11, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF YOUNG DEMONSTRATORS HOLDING CLIMATE CHANGE PROTEST OUTSIDE MEDIA CENTRE FOR G7 SUMMIT RAPPER 'SUNNYJIM' PERFORMING 'PLASTIC WRAP' RHYME POSTER WITH PHOTO OF NATURALIST AND ENVIRONMENTAL CAMPAIGNER DAVID ATTENBOROUGH (SOUNDBITE) (English) RAPPER, 'SUNNYJIM', PERFORMING RHYME TO CAMERA: "The ecological breakdown is still happening all around us. Plastic consumption and use going up every year. More sealife and cetaceans are dying every year. And we seem to be doing nothing about it, and they host these meetings in private where we can't even see what they're discussing and then they decide what's going to happen and the shape of the world, and especially after the last year I don't trust them to shape the world. So I think the people need more of a say." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WITH PLACARDS POLICE OFFICER STANDING BY PROTESTERS HOLDING PLACARDS PLACARD READING "G7 LEADERS WE ARE WATCHING"
- Embargoed: 25th June 2021 16:47
- Keywords: Biden Duchess EU G7 Jill Biden Johnson Kate Macron Merkel Michel Suga Trudeau climate change meeting photo protest rapper summit von der Leyen
- Location: CARBIS BAY, ST IVES, FALMOUTH AND HAYLE, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: CARBIS BAY, ST IVES, FALMOUTH AND HAYLE, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,G7,Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA005EGYKKSN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A HIGHLIGHTS WRAP OF FOOTAGE THAT HAS ALREADY MOVED. IT DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY FRESH MATERIAL. THE WRAP INCLUDES FOOTAGE FROM EDITS 5163, 5162, 5025, 5050, 5181, 5204, 5205, 5203
Boris Johnson cast the Group of Seven summit as a "gigantic media circus" on Friday (June 11) after leaders were paraded before journalists and U.S. President Joe Biden walked arm-in-arm up the beach discussing democracy with France's Emmanuel Macron.
G7 summits are notorious for anodyne and slightly ridiculous photo opportunities which leave world leaders struggling to seem natural in bizarre contexts - for example meeting another world leader on a small, overcast English beach.
Under grey clouds, British prime minister Johnson, with ruffled blonde hair, and his new wife Carrie, greeted other G7 leaders and their partners on a specially constructed wooden gangway beside the Atlantic.
After the leaders returned for a socially distanced "family photograph", Germany's Angela Merkel urged Johnson ahead, telling him: "You are the leader."
French President Macron held back, making a few remarks to Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi before Biden draped his arm around Macron who returned the embrace. They walked smiling, arm-in-arm along the walkway, discussing affairs of state.
The Elysee Palace said Macron and Biden had talked about "how to make democracies more efficient for the middle class and on China said there should be no confrontation but that we should defend our values and interests".
As he opened the summit, Johnson said it would be hugely significant after the "wretched pandemic" and speculated that perhaps leaders could rebuild in "a more gender-neutral, a more feminine, way".
Ordering the media to leave the meeting after his initial remarks, Johnson said: "This is meant to be a fireside chat between the great democracies of the world - it's turned into a gigantic media circus in which we have to greet each other several times."
High on the agenda will be how to slow global warming and the global post-pandemic recovery.
It was the first in-person G7 meeting since 2019 and leaders took the opportunity to exchange greetings and laugh with each other.
Climate protesters descended on Cornwall's towns and beaches to press the leaders to act swiftly on environmental protection and slow climate change.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel said she wants to see countries from across the world, including China, working together on climate protection and biodiversity.
Johnson said they must not repeat mistakes of the past and work together on "building back greener and building back fairer and building back more equal".
The first plenary discussion session of all G7 leaders and EU leaders was to focus on "building back from COVID-19".
Outside of the summit, U.S. first lady Jill Biden visited a school in Cornwall with Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, as senior members of Britain's royal family joined the G7 leaders.
The British royals are playing a prominent role at the G7, with the heir to the throne, Prince Charles, and his eldest son Prince William also hosting an event between business chiefs and the world leaders to discuss how the private sector can work with governments to tackle climate change.
Queen Elizabeth, who will also take part in an event with Kate after the G7 reception, is also due to meet the Bidens for tea at Windsor Castle on Sunday (June 13) after the summit has concluded.
(Production: Paul Warren, Avivit Delgoshen)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None