- Title: Climate activists make medieval protest to G7 media
- Date: 12th June 2021
- Summary: FALMOUTH, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 12, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EXTINCTION REBELLION ACTIVISTS TAKING PART IN A "PENTITENTS' PROCESSION" / ACTIVISITS WEARING SIGNS READING (English): "FUNDING CLIMATE HELL" FLAGS ABOE HIGH STREET / PROTESTERS WALKING PROTESTER'S BARE FEET PROTESTERS WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (English) FALMOUTH RESIDENT AND EXTINTION REBELLION SUPPORTER, DEBORAH MITCHELL, SAYING: "I want them to revisit their priorities and take the tiny, tiny chance that we have of survival by redistributing wealth, not by trying to shore it up for a very few, but redistributing so that the planet can survive by stopping the greed and the materialism that's behind what they're funding." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WALKING POLICE LOOKING ON PROTESTER WALKING WITH EXTINCTION REBELLION LOGO ON BACK REFLECTION OF PROTESTER IN WINDOW PROTESTERS WAKING (SOUNDBITE) (English) FALMOUTH RESIDENT AND EXTINTION REBELLION SUPPORTER, DEBORAH MITCHELL, SAYING: "They're dressed in sackcloth and ashes right, so they're dressed to show that there will be nothing left if we carry on investing in the destruction of the planet. There will be nothing left. So they're drawing attention to that visually and that it will be a long slow painful process, which many countries are already experiencing, and that there is no way back. That's the absolute terror of it - there is no way back if we carry on losing species at this rate. If we carry on making extinction the reality for so many species, we ourselves will also be extinct." PROTESTERS STANDING OUTSIDE G7 SUMMIT MEDIA CENTRE PEOPLE WATCHING PROTEST VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS STANDING (SOUNDBITE) (English) FALMOUTH RESIDENT AND EXTINTION REBELLION SUPPORTER, DEBORAH MITCHELL, SAYING: ""So we are told we've got 1,200 journalists from all over the world in this massive white building behind. I don't know if they're looking and seeing what the crucial message is, or if they're lost in the illusion that the governments are on the right track. I don't know, and it's frightening." SHADOWS OF PROTESTERS STANDING PROTESTERS WALKING PAST SIGN READING (English): "G7 CORNWALL"
- Embargoed: 26th June 2021 19:05
- Location: FALMOUTH, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: FALMOUTH, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Climate Change,Environment,Europe,General News,Government / Politics,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001EH3I6H3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Dozens of campaigners from environmental group Extinction Rebellion dressed as medieval penitents on Saturday (June 12) to march on the G7 Summit's media centre.
Participants lined up in single file to slowly march through the town of Falmouth, Cornwall, keeping step with one another via a sombre, thudding drumbeat.
Each activist wore a sackcloth and was painted head to toe in white, with a sign hanging from their neck reading "funding climate hell" to represent their perceived sins.
Historically, a "penitent" is a person who publicly repents and makes atonement for their transgressions.
(Production: Natalie Thomas, Ben Dangerfield)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None