- Title: Florida condo building partially collapses, killing at least one person
- Date: 24th June 2021
- Summary: SURFSIDE, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES (JUNE 24, 2021) (REUTERS) WIDE OF OF COLLAPSED BUILDING POLICE AND RESCUE TEAMS AT SCENE CORDONED OFF AREA NEAR BEACH
- Embargoed: 8th July 2021 14:31
- Keywords: Florida Miami Surfside building collapse
- Location: SURFSIDE, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES
- City: SURFSIDE, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA001EIRHW7B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of fire and rescue workers scoured through tons of rubble early Thursday (June 24) after a 12-story oceanfront residential building partially collapsed just north of Miami Beach, leaving at least one person dead and at least 10 injured, officials said.
The condominium building in Surfside, Florida, about 15 miles (24 km) north of Miami, had more than 130 units, according to NBC Miami. Officials have said about 80 were occupied.
Dozens of residents were evacuated from the building, built in 1981, and from a nearby hotel as rescue teams used trained dogs in effort to find survivors in the debris. It was unclear how many people were inside at 2 a.m. (0600 GMT), when an entire side of the building pulled away and fell to the ground below.
More than 80 fire and rescue units responded to the collapse, the Miami-Dade County Fire Rescue Department wrote in a Twitter message early Thursday.
(Production: Deborah Gembara)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None