- Title: Teams sift through rubble of condo collapse, searching for life
- Date: 25th June 2021
- Summary: SURFSIDE, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES (JUNE 25, 2021) (REUTERS) POLICE TAPE IN FOREGROUND WITH LARGE CRANE AND DAMAGED BUILDING IN THE DISTANCE CLOSER SHOT OF CRANE NEAR BALCONY OF PARTIALLY COLLAPSED BUILDING HOSE FROM FIRE TRUCK DIRECTED AT RUBBLE FROM BUILDING MIAMI DADE FIRE RESCUE VEHICLE DRIVING PAST FIRE TRUCK
- Embargoed: 9th July 2021 16:29
- Keywords: Miami building collapse search
- Location: SURFSIDE, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES
- City: SURFSIDE, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA002EIWHZ5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Rescue workers scouring the debris of a collapsed condo building in a Miami suburb said they heard sounds in the rubble overnight, as officials on Friday (June 25) raised the number of people unaccounted for to 159 and the confirmed death toll to four.
Three more bodies were pulled from the wreckage overnight. Another person was reported to have died on Thursday (June 24).
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Assistant Fire Chief Ray Jadallah said on Friday that rescuers had heard sounds in the rubble overnight, but said it could be either falling debris or people tapping.
What caused the 40-year-old high-rise to cave in was not immediately known, although local officials said the 12-story tower was undergoing roof construction and other repairs.
The Champlain Towers South had more than 130 units, about 80 of which were occupied. It had been subject to various inspections recently due to the re-certification process and the adjacent building construction, according to local officials.
(Production: Octavio Jones, Kevin Fogarty, Deborah Gembara)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None