- Title: Engineer had warned of structural damage before Florida building collapse -NYT
- Date: 26th June 2021
- Summary: SURFSIDE, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES (JUNE 26, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS GROUND SHOTS OF CRANES REMOVING DEBRIS FROM THE COLLAPSED BUILDING (2 SHOTS) PAN UP FROM CRANES TO DAMAGED BALCONIES EARLIER IN THE MORNING, GROUND SHOT OF THE SAME SCENE BEFORE MORE CRANES ARRIVED (4 SHOTS)
- Embargoed: 10th July 2021 12:20
- Keywords: Florida condo building collapse Surfside apartment collapse disaster engineer search and rescue structural damage report
- Location: SURFSIDE, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES
- City: SURFSIDE, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA001EJ1EQTJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A consultant had warned three years before the deadly collapse of a South Florida condominium building that there was evidence of "major structural damage" to the concrete slab below the pool deck and abundant cracking and crumbling in the underground parking garage, the New York Times reported early on Saturday (June 26).
A large section of the 12-story building in the Miami suburb of Surfside collapsed suddenly in the early hours of Thursday as residents slept, in a disaster whose cause is not yet known.
Four people have been confirmed killed and 159 are still unaccounted for, with search-and-rescue teams working around the clock through an unstable mountain of debris.
The Times said that consultant engineer Frank Morabito's October 2018 report had helped shape plans for a repair project that was set to get underway soon, more than two and a half years after the building managers were warned.
(Production: Mana Rabiee)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None