- Title: Italian fans rejoice as they leave Wembley after Austria nail biter
- Date: 27th June 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 26, 2021) (REUTERS) SOCCER FANS LEAVING WEMBLEY STADIUM ELECTRONIC DISPLAY ON THE FRONT OF WEMBLEY STADIUM VARIOUS OF FANS LEAVING THE MATCH (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) EMILIANO, ITALY FAN, SAYING: "It was a fantastic match, full of emotion and I am very, very happy to be at Wembley Stadium. Thank you, England! For everything." FANS WALKING PAST (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) CHRISTIAN, ITALY FAN FROM ROME, SAYING: "We were not expecting a difficult match. We had all figured it would be an easy match. But Austria are an amazing team. It was a very difficult match, but we won and that is the most important thing. Now we are through." FANS WALKING AWAY FROM WEMBLEY (SOUNDBITE) (English) SEBASTIAN STOCKENHUBER, AUSTRIA FAN, SAYING: "Yeah, we played well. You know what? I'm proud of our boys. Die Adler! (the Eagle!)" (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNNAMED ITALY FAN, SAYING: "Italy was quite poor in the first 90 minutes, but they obviously picked up in overtime and, yeah, we're glad." (SOUNDBITE) (German) JURGEN SCHWARZGRUBER, AUSTRIA FAN, SAYING: "It was very tight. We could have won too but this is life. Sometimes just a millimetre is missing. It wasn't easy for the Italians though, but what can we do? The Italians played better." (SOUNDBITE) (German) MARKUS MUTTER, AUSTRIA FAN SAYING: "We deserved to win. The 1-0 -- maybe it was a goal, maybe not. It was a good game." FANS WALKING AWAY FROM THE MATCH
- Embargoed: 11th July 2021 00:13
- Keywords: Austria Euro 2020 European Championship Italy Wembley Stadium
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001EJ1FK1R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Italy survived a huge scare as they scrambled past outsiders Austria into the quarter-finals of Euro 2020 with substitutes Federico Chiesa and Matteo Pessina scoring extra-time goals to earn them a 2-1 win at Wembley on Saturday (June 26).
The Azzurri had looked like the form team during an impressive group phase but Roberto Mancini's side misfired badly as they left their Roman fortress for the first time in the tournament and looked in danger of a shock exit.
Austria, playing in the knockout phase at the European Championship for the first time, knocked the Italians out of their stride in the second half and had a goal by Marco Arnautovic chalked off after a VAR intervention.
(Production: Gerry Mey, Stuart McDill)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None