- Title: British health secretary resignation dominates UK press front pages
- Date: 27th June 2021
- Summary: CULLOMPTON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 27, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF UK NEWSPAPER HEADLINES ON THE FRONT PAGES ALL LEADING WITH MATT HANCOCK'S RESIGNATION FRONT PAGE OF THE SUNDAY : 'MIRROR: MATT FINISHED' FRONT PAGE OF THE SUNDAY: 'EXPRESS: HANCOCK FORCED TO QUIT' FRONT PAGE OF THE SUNDAY TELEGRAPH: 'THOSE OF US WHO MAKE THESE RULES HAVE GOT TO STICK BY THEM" FRONT PAGE OF THE SUN: "MATT FINISHED" FRONT PAGE OF THE MAIL ON SUNDAY: 'HANCOCK QUITS HIS JOB - AND MARRIAGE" HEADLINE IN MAIL ON SUNDAY READING (English) "DITCHES 'CRESTFALLEN' WIFE AND TELLS FRIENDS HE'S IN LOVE WITH AIDE" "SAJID JAVID IS NEW HEALTH SECRETARY IN DRAMATIC COMEBACK" FRONT PAGE OF THE SUNDAY TIMES: Humiliated Hancock quits HEADLINE IN SUNDAY TIMES READING (English) "PRIVATE EMAIL ACCOUNT HID COVID BUSINESS FROM OFFICIALS" FRONT PAGE OF THE OBSERVER Gone: 'HANCOCK QUITS AFTER DAY OF HUMILIATION" HEADLINE IN THE OBSERVER READING (English) "TORIES AT ALL LEVELS DEMAND HIS DISMISSAL" VARIOUS OF UK FRONT PAGES
- Embargoed: 11th July 2021 11:19
- Keywords: Matt Hancock Sajid Javid UK newspapers press reaction resignation
- Location: CULLOMPTON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: CULLOMPTON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001EJ6EQMF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The front pages of Britain's newspapers were dominated by the story of former health secretary Matt Hancock's resignation on Sunday (June 27).
Footage of Hancock kissing and embracing his aide found its way into the media on Friday (June 25), the latest scandal to hit Prime Minister Boris Johnson's government.
Since the pictures were published, an increasing number of his fellow Conservative lawmakers had privately called for Hancock to go, saying his position was untenable after he admitted to breaking coronavirus restrictions.
Johnson, who has faced down criticism of various scandals including the funding of refurbishment of his apartment in Downing Street, stood by his health minister initially. He accepted Hancock's resignation on Saturday (June 26) but suggested he might return to a another high profile public role. He then swiftly appointed former finance minister Sajid Javid to the role.
(Production: Natalie Thomas)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains images from newspapers or magazines. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.