- Title: Nasdaq closes at record high, lifted by Apple
- Date: 29th June 2021
- Summary: FORMIA, ITALY (JUNE 29, 2021) (REUTERS VIA SKYPE) (SOUNDBITE) (English) SPARTAN CAPITAL SECURITIES, CHIEF MARKET ECONOMIST, PETER CARDILLO, SAYING: "I don't think we're headed for a correction, but I do think we're heading for some sort of a pullback because there is a little bit too much complacency in the market right now. But, you know, you really can't help but saying the reasons are for the right reasons. And if you look at today's macro indicators, we have very strong housing data. The Case Shiller index year-over-year was up over 14%, month-to-month up 1.7%. Those are strong numbers. And certainly that's indicative to the fact that it's going to kick in in the second half of the year. That is part of the whole macro picture. And what really impressed me was the huge jump that we got in consumer confidence. We were up seven points from last month to 127. And again, that tells me that consumer spending is going to get very strong over the next four to five months. So, we're headed for a very strong second half."
- Embargoed: 13th July 2021 21:08
- Keywords: COVID-19 Dow Jones Nasdaq S&P 500 Wall Street coronavirus equities index indices markets shares stocks trading vaccine
- Location: FORMIA, ITALY / NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: FORMIA, ITALY / NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Economic Events,Equities Markets,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA002EJGH553
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The Nasdaq closed at a record high on Tuesday (June 29), lifted by Apple and other technology stocks after an upbeat consumer confidence report.
The S&P 500 hovered near unchanged for the latter part of the day, helped by Morgan Stanley.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 9.02 points, or 0.026%, to 34,292.29, the S&P 500 gained 1.19 points, or 0.028%, to 4,291.80 and the Nasdaq Composite added 27.83 points, or 0.19%, to 14,528.34.
(Production: Hyeongmi Kim, Fred Katayama, Aleksandra Michalska)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None