- Title: Fans gather in London for Euro 2020 last-16 match between England and Germany
- Date: 29th June 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (JUNE 29, 2021) (REUTERS) FOOTBALL FAN DOING TRICKS OUTSIDE WEMBLEY STADIUM FOOTBALL FANS WALKING TO WEMBLEY STADIUM VARIOUS OF FANS WALKING TO WEMBLEY STADIUM KIOSK SELLING ENGLAND AND GERMANY FLAGS AND SCARVES ENGLAND AND GERMANY FLAGS FLYING ON KIOSK (SOUNDBITE) (English) GROUP OF UNNAMED ENGLAND FANS, SAYING: "Iâ€™m going to go for an England win, 2-1. Harry Kane is going to score the winner." â€œEngland 1 nil. England 1 nil.â€ â€œ2-1, Harry McGuire, injury time.â€ â€œ2-0 England.â€ â€œCâ€™mon England! â€œCâ€™mon!â€ ENGLAND FANS WEARING COWBOY HATS (SOUNDBITE) (English) MARNIE HALL, ENGLAND FAN, SAYING: "England is going to win today. 2-0. Iâ€™m confident. Of course I am!" VARIOUS OF FANS WALKING TO WEMBLEY STADIUM WITH ELECTRONIC DISPLAY SAYING â€˜LONDONâ€™ (SOUNDBITE) (German) PETER ZIEGLER, GERMANY FAN SAYING: "Yes, I think thatâ€™s going to be the problem, the quarantine. Only a few (German) fans can show up. We were lucky. It was easier to get tickets and weâ€™re happy to be here." FAMILY OF ENGLAND FANS WALKING TO WEMBLEY (SOUNDBITE) (English) DYLAN, NERVOUS ENGLAND FAN, SAYING: "Theyâ€™ve been smashing teams. We havenâ€™t." Q Tell me whatâ€™s going to happen today then? â€œUmmm, 2-1 England. I think.â€ (followed by deep breath) ELECTRONIC DISPLAY ON WEMBLEY SAYING ENGLAND V GERMANY (SOUNDBITE) (German) JONATHAN IMKELLER, GERMANY FAN, SAYING: "It will be a very difficult game. Two teams, the biggest spectacle here at Wembley since 1996. A big game without Klinsmann. But still we won. It will be a difficult game but I hope Germany will win. It will be a very, very tight game. 1-0 to Germany." FANS WEARING ENGLAND FLAGS / WEMBLEY STADIUM WEMBLEY STADIUM
- Embargoed: 13th July 2021 14:26
- Keywords: England Euro Germany UEFA fans soccer
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001EJGG7YF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tens of thousands of fans are arriving at Wembley Stadium in North West London on Tuesday (June 29) for the Euro 2020 last-16 clash between England and Germany.
England have not defeated Germany in the knockout match of a major tournament since the 1966 World Cup final, nor have they ever won a knockout match over 90 minutes at the Euros.
Four of their knockout stage games went to penalty shootouts and England progressed only once -- against Spain at Wembley at in 1996.
In contrast, Germany have won every single World Cup penalty shootout they have done, as well as two out of three at Euros, losing only their first one in the 1976 Euro final to Czechoslovakia.
They also beat England on penalties at Wembley in the semi-finals in the 1996 edition before going on to win their third European crown.
The Germans won just one game in their group but advanced in second place after a nervous 2-2 draw against Hungary.
England were equally unimpressive but even more efficient to top Group D with seven points and no goals conceded, but they are the lowest-scoring team ever to top a Euros group, with just two goals.
More than forty thousand fans are expected at the game, the largest crowd at UK sporting event since lockdown restrictions were first imposed last year.
The winner of Tuesday's (June 29) game will face either Sweden or Ukraine in the quarter-finals on Saturday (July 3).
(Production: Stuart McDill)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None