- Title: 'Black Widow' screening rolls out the red carpet for London film fans
- Date: 29th June 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 29, 2021) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** EXTERIOR OF CINEWORLD CINEMA LEICESTER SQUARE "BLACK WIDOW" ARTWORK AND POSTER AT CINEMA ENTRANCE MARVEL STUDIOS LOGO RED CARPET FOR "BLACK WIDOW" VARIOUS OF ACTRESS, FLORENCE PUGH, POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS ON RED CARPET PUGH SPEAKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (English) BRITISH ACTRESS, FLORENCE PUGH, SAYING: "Pressure? No. Excitement? Yes. I think that, I did not think our film was going to be a part of the first wave of films where people would go back to the cinema and watch it. That being said, I'm so grateful that it is, I think that it's a really cool film to, if you can and you feel safe to, to go back to the cinema to. It's such an epic. It has amazing action, amazing acting, amazing cast, amazing direction. The stunts are insane. It's something that you want to see and make a moment of. So, I'm I'm grateful, I think it's coming out the perfect time." PUGH POSING ON RED CARPET PUGH POSING WITH COSPLAYERS DRESSED AS CHARACTERS FROM "BLACK WIDOW" COSPLAYER, LEANNE, DRESSED AS SCARLETT JOHANSSON'S CHARACTER NATASHA ROMANOFF PHOTOGRAPHERS PUGH SAYING (UPSOT): "LOOK AT THESE GUYS" WHILE POSING ON RED CARPET (SOUNDBITE) (English) BRITISH ACTRESS, FLORENCE PUGH, SAYING: "You know what? From start to finish, this whole experience has been so absolutely crazy. And I, the added time of two years has made it feel like it's still not real. So the fact that people are possibly dressing up as Yelena and Natasha is so beautiful. I'm just really excited for people to see it, it's been a long time." COSPLAYERS DRESSED AS CHARACTERS FROM THE "AVENGERS" FRANCHISE GETTING INTO POSITION ON RED CARPET VARIOUS OF COSPLAYERS POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) COSPLAYER DRESSED AS NATASHA ROMANOFF, ALEX MANUEL, SAYING: "It's unbelievable. We've been waiting 11 years for this film and the fact that it's here and we can't believe it, honestly." PHOTOGRAPHERS / COSPLAYERS POSING COSPLAYER DRESSED AS NATASHA ROMANOFF, MILLY, POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) COSPLAYERS DRESSED AS NATASHA ROMANOFF, NIAMH AND MILLY, SAYING: NIAMH: "It's insane, I've missed it so much. I kept walking past every time, past the cinema, going oh, I wish I could go in and to finally go in to a cinema, especially this one being the first cinema I'm going back into it's just incredible. And I'm just really looking forward sort of sitting down and watching a film again." MILLY: "Yeah, there's nothing like watching a film in the cinema, so it's really nice that we're finally going getting cinemas opening, and get to see this the way it should have been seen in the first place." VARIOUS OF FANS ENTERING CINEMA BRITISH RADIO DJ AND HOST OF SCREENING, VICK HOPE, POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS PHOTOGRAPHERS / HOPE POSING (SOUNDBITE) (English) BRITISH RADIO DJ AND HOST OF SCREENING, VICK HOPE, SAYING: "It's about saying thank you to the fans who have been waiting for such a long time for new films, for films in a universe that they love so, so much. So it's an opportunity for them to get that first sneak peak, for them to experience it for the first time, to enjoy it. And yeah, "the wait is over" (slogan for "Black Widow"). And I think for a lot of us, just those words mean a lot right now." BRITISH TV PERSONALITY, LEIGH FRANCIS, BEST KNOWN FOR PLAYING KEITH LEMON, ARRIVING ONTO RED CARPET AND POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS FRANCIS SPEAKING TO MEDIA INFLUENCERS AND WINNERS OF "LOVE ISLAND" 2019, FINLEY TAPP AND PAIGE TURLEY, POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS TURLEY POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS INFLUENCER AND "MADE IN CHELSEA" STAR, TIFFANY WATSON, POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS "STRICTLY COME DANCING" PROFESSIONAL DANCERS, JANETTE MANRARA (L) AND KATYA JONES (R), SPEAKING TO MEDIA
- Embargoed: 13th July 2021 21:56
- Keywords: Black Widow Florence Pugh Marvel Scarlett Johansson cosplay fan event premiere screening
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / UNKNOWN FILMING LOCATION
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / UNKNOWN FILMING LOCATION
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Europe,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA001EJGH9VX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Film fans young and old, some dressed as their favourite "Avengers" characters, walked and posed on a red carpet in London's Leicester Square on Tuesday (June 29) for a special screening of superhero story "Black Widow."
The Marvel Studios movie, starring Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow, the Russian-born spy-turned-Avenger, is among a slate of upcoming major releases postponed from last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and which cinema operators hope will revive ticket sales.
A recurring character in the Marvel cinematic universe since 2010's "Iron Man 2", Romanoff gets a standalone movie with "Black Widow" in which she revisits her past.
"From start to finish, this whole experience has been so absolutely crazy and the added time of two years has made it feel like it's still not real," actor Florence Pugh, who plays Romanoff's sister Yelena in the film, told Reuters at the event.
"So the fact that people are possibly dressing up as Yelena and Natasha is so beautiful. I'm just really excited for people to see it. It's been it's been a long time."
The traditional location for London film premieres, cinemas in Leicester Square only reopened last month, with social distancing measures in place. Tuesday's "Black Widow" preview was held in two separate screening rooms.
"There's nothing like watching a film in the cinema," said Marvel fan Milly, who was dressed as Romanoff. "It's really nice that we ... get to see this the way it should have been seen in the first place," she added.
Similar "Black Widow" fan events were also being held in other cities including New York and Los Angeles.
Cinemas hope to lure back audiences with movies like "Black Widow"; "F9", the ninth instalment in the popular "Fast & Furious" franchise; and D.C. comics film "The Suicide Squad".
"I did not think our film was going to be a part of the first wave of films where people would go back to the cinema and watch it," Pugh said. "That being said, I'm so grateful that it is."
"Black Widow" will be released both in cinemas and on the Disney+ streaming service next week.
(Production: Steve Hignett, Mindy Burrows, Marie-Louise Gumuchian)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None