- Title: 'No Sudden Move' cast on twists and filming in COVID
- Date: 30th June 2021
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (JUNE 18, 2021) (REUTERS VIA ZOOM) (ON DESCRIBING THE FILM IN ONE WORD) (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR BRENDAN FRASER SAYING: "You know what, in a word, I'd say that this is a chronological or a fable there of ecology. Everyone wants something desperately in this film and everyone gets what they deserve." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR JON HAMM SAYING: "Suspense like what Steven really does is create a very suspenseful vibe throughout the entire film. It's a complicated story, it's not meant to be easily sort of digested, in that sense of it's not meant to be spoon fed to you. So, it's a very complicated story and it pays off." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR DON CHEADLE SAYING: "Entertaining, because I think it is. It's tight, it's a cool suspense thriller. We were lucky enough to see early versions of it and see the process and how Steven and the editing team and all the people in post-production put it together. And I think it's turned out to be a really, really entertaining movie." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR BENICIO DEL TORO SAYING: "Fun. It's a family movie." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR DON CHEADLE SAYING: "There you go." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR BENICIO DEL TORO SAYING: "Well, I think, you know, the kids are old enough, the whole family, you know, get together and watch the movie. It's got its ups and downs and it's got its turns that are kind of like a lot of fun. I thought it was fun and - I don't know, it's like the type of movie I'd like to see." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTRESS JULIA FOX SAYING: "I would say greed." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR RAY LIOTTA SAYING: "Yeah, I would say greed." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTRESS JULIA FOX SAYING: "Lust maybe as well. Lust for money, lust for women, lust, greed, a lot of sinful things." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTRESS AMY SEIMETZ SAYING: "Twisty." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTRESS FRANKIE SHAW SAYING: "Yeah, I was going to say the same. It's 'No Sudden Move,' but I'm like, movement." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTRESS AMY SEIMETZ SAYING: "Don't move, but there is a lot of it, yeah. And also just because each character and each new plot point, you, you, you feel like it's a new spin, like you've just been spun around and you, you can't really trust each character or where the story is going and you just have to allow it to take you. And it's a fun ride." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR BILL DUKE SAYING: "I would say a mystery, because it is. I mean, it hooks you and takes you on these different levels and plains. And one is greed and all that stuff and gangsters, but also there's humanity in it." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR NOAH JUPE SAYING: "Fear, I guess. The fear of being, I guess, there's a lot of trust issues in this, in this movie with pretty much every single character."
- Embargoed: 14th July 2021 14:39
- Keywords: BENICIO DEL TORO STEVEN SODERBERGH don cheadle film jon hamm movie no sudden move
- Location: UNKNOWN FILM LOCATIONS / NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: UNKNOWN FILM LOCATIONS / NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Film,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA00CEJLD6Q5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDIT CONTAINS PROFANITY
Oscar winning director Steven Soderbergh brings together an all-star cast for crime drama "No Sudden Move" in which a bunch of criminals are called on to carry out a heist that goes wrong.
Benicio Del Toro, Don Cheadle, Ray Liotta, Jon Hamm, Brendan Fraser star in the movie, set in 1954 Detroit, where the robbers embark on a mission to find out who hired them.
The actors and co-stars Julia Fox and Frankie Shaw spoke to Reuters about the movie's unexpected twists and filming during COVID.
The film will be released on July 1st on HBOMax.
Below are excerpts edited for length and clarity.
Q: Did you agree to this film without reading the script?
Del Toro: "For me it was, Don Cheadle in the film, Steven Soderbergh ... I said yes before I read the script. I assumed that Don reads the script for me and then I go."
Hamm: "We shot this movie in deep pandemic in October, November in Detroit ... you couldn't be in better hands than to be in Steven's (Soderbergh) hands ... he works tirelessly, he is editing while he's shooting. He's got everything in his head ... That feels very good in a mode where we were very much uncertain about everything, this felt very certain."
Q: What was filming during the pandemic like?
Shaw: "The crew was pretty pared down because of COVID, which also led to probably more intimacy because there weren't like a lot of people around."
Q: Did you figure out the twist in the film when you first read the script?
Liotta: "What you think might be happening doesn't exactly happen, it goes off into a different direction, so you never really know what's going on ... who knows who."
Q: Can you describe the film in one word?
Fraser: "I'd say that this is a chronological or a fable there of, of ecology. Everyone wants something desperately in this film and everyone gets what they deserve."
Hamm: "Suspense ... it's a very complicated story and it pays off."
Del Toro: "Fun."
Fox: "I would say greed."
(Production: Alicia Powell)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None