- Title: Russians start New Year celebrations with bikini run and ice water bathing
- Date: 28th December 2016
- Summary: LISTVYANKA, IRKUTSK REGION, RUSSIA (DECEMBER 25, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WEARING SWIMMING CLOTHES AND CHRISTMAS HATS RUNNING ALONG ROAD NEXT TO BAIKAL LAKE FOG OVER BAIKAL VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING AT SNOWY BEACH PREPARING TO SWIM VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ENTERING WATER AND SWIMMING MEN PLAYING IN WATER WOMAN WEARING CHRISTMAS HAT SWIMMING ICICLES ABOVE WATER WOMAN WEARING RED SWIMMING SUIT AND RED SKIRT COMING OUT OF WATER PEOPLE SWIMMING WOMEN COMING OUT OF WATER AND MAN WEARING HAT WITH SIGN READING (English): 'MERRY CHRISTMAS' WATER (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) COLD WATER SWIMMER, INNA IZRYADINA, SAYING: "We held a show ahead of New Year to promote healthy lifestyle and so that people would not be afraid to toughen their bodies and would fall ill less often. There are so many cold-related diseases nowadays." WAVES, SNOWY SHORE IN BACKGROUND (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) COLD WATER SWIMMER, ANDREI TESAKOV, SAYING: "I just enjoy the process in general. I feel that I get filled with strength when I plunge into the water of the Baikal or the Angara (river)." SNOWY SHORE AND WATER MAN WEARING CHRISTMAS HAT AND BEARD ENTERING WATER VARIOUS OF ICY SHORE
- Embargoed: 12th January 2017 12:52
- Keywords: Russia Baikal bikini run bikini St Claus
- Location: LISTVYANKA, IRKUTSK REGION, RUSSIA
- City: LISTVYANKA, IRKUTSK REGION, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Living/Lifestyle,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0015ESQO1L
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Siberian fitness lovers have started the winter holiday season with a bikini run along the coast of the famous Baikal lake and a plunge in the icy water.
Around a dozen enthusiasts from the local 'Club of walruses' put on Christmas hats, Santa Claus beards and other festive accessories to run almost one kilometer along the coastline in the village of Listvyanka.
Compared with the outside temperature of less than 20 degrees centigrade the water was favourably warm - several degrees above freezing.
Winter swimming is a popular way to reinforce one's health in Russia, people of every age gather on lakes and rivers and brave the chilly waters to prevent flue.
"We held a show ahead of New Year to promote healthy lifestyle and so that people would not be afraid to toughen their bodies and would fall ill less often," said Inna Izryadina, one of the participants of the run at the side of the world's largest and deepest freshwater lake.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None