- Title: U.S. job growth picks up in June; unemployment rate rises to 5.9%
- Date: 2nd July 2021
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (RECENT) (REUTERS) MAN PLAYING FLUTE
- Embargoed: 16th July 2021 17:06
- Keywords: COVID-19 business coronavirus-induced closures employment jobless claims jobs money sales stores traffic unemployment vaccinations
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, + WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, + WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Economic Events,Equities Markets,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA002EK5G5DZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. job growth accelerated in June as companies, desperate to boost production and services amid booming demand, raised wages and offered incentives to draw millions of reluctant unemployed Americans back into the labor force.
Nonfarm payrolls increased by 850,000 jobs last month after rising 583,000 in May, the Labor Department said in its closely watched employment report on Friday (July 2).
The unemployment rate rose to 5.9% from 5.8% in May.
The jobless rate has been understated by people misclassifying themselves as being "employed but absent from work."
There are a record 9.3 million job openings. Economists polled by Reuters had forecast payrolls advancing by 700,000 jobs last month and the unemployment rate dipping to 5.7%.
(Production: Aleksandra Michalska, Andrew Hofstetter)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.