- Title: Israeli relative of Berlin truck attack victim lights menorah for Hanukkah
- Date: 27th December 2016
- Summary: VARIOUS OF ELYAKIM AND RABBI SHMUEL SEGAL ON CHERRY PICKER, LIGHTING FOURTH LIGHT ON 10-METRE-HIGH MENORAH VARIOUS OF SEGAL AND OTHERS DANCING VARIOUS OF CANDLES BURNING IN FRONT OF BRANDENBURG GATE
- Embargoed: 11th January 2017 20:20
- Keywords: Berlin Hanukkah Israel menorah truck attack victims
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0065ENRN0N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Jewish, Muslim and Christian representatives attended a traditional lighting ceremony for Hanukkah in Berlin on Tuesday night (December 27) which this year was dedicated to the victims of last week's truck attack which killed 12 people and injured 48 others.
Or Elyakim, son of Dalia Elyakim who was killed on December 19 when a truck deliberately ploughed through a Berlin Christmas market, lit the fourth candle on the 10-metre high menorah, Europe's largest, the organisers said.
"Today, we are countering the terrorists' hate in the true sense of the word with light. The fourth Hanukkah light is like a victory over darkness. Never will we let terror rule our lives," Israel's ambassador to Germany, Yacov-David Hadas Handelsman, told a crowd of several hundred people.
The Tunisian assailant, 24-year-old Anis Amri, was shot dead by Italian police in shootout on Friday (December 23) after a European-wide manhunt.
In a video released after his death, he is seen pledging his allegiance to militant group Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.