- Title: Wimbledon to have maximum capacity crowds from quarters onwards
- Date: 4th July 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (JUNE 28, 2021) (REUTERS) DIGITAL WIMBLEDON SIGN VIEW FROM HENMAN HILL / MURRAY MOUNTAIN VARIOUS OF CENTRE COURT BEING PREPARED EXTERIOR OF CENTRE COURT STADIUM HAND SANITISER HAND SANITISER BEING USED VARIOUS OF RAILING BEING CLEANED VARIOUS OF ORDER OF PLAY SPECTATORS EXTERIOR OF CENTRE COURT STADIUM
- Embargoed: 18th July 2021 15:03
- Keywords: COVID-19 Centre Court Court 1 SW19 Wimbledon capacity coronavirus fans
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Sport,Tennis
- Reuters ID: LVA001EKFBRR3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Wimbledon will have capacity crowds from the singles quarter-finals onwards as COVID-19 restrictions on attendances are relaxed, the All England Club announced on Sunday (July 4).
Attendances have been capped at 50% since the start of the tournament last Monday although next weekend's finals were to rise to 100% on the 15,000-capacity Centre Court.
After a successful opening week, the Championships have now been given permission to operate at full capacity from Tuesday's women's quarters on Centre Court and No.1 Court.
Wimbledon is being used as a pilot event for the safe return of crowds as part of the Government's Events Research Programme.
It will mark the first time outdoor stadiums will be at full capacity at a sporting event in Britain since the COVID-19 pandemic shut down sports in the country in March 2020.
(Production: Stefan Haskins)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None