- Title: Hamilton signs on for two more years at Mercedes F1 team
- Date: 3rd July 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - DECEMBER 2, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS HAMILTON ON RED CARPET AT THE BRITISH FASHION AWARDS BERLIN, GERMANY (FILE - NOVEMBER 7, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF HAMILTON ON RED CARPET AT GQ GERMANY'S MEN OF THE YEAR AWARDS SILVERSTONE, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - FEBRUARY 22, 2018) (REUTERS) LEWIS HAMILTON, VALTTERI BOTTAS, TOTO WOLFF, MERCEDES MANAGING DIRECTOR, ANDY COWELL AND TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, JAMES ALLISON STANDING BEHIND CAR AT LAUNCH CAR / BOTTAS, WOLFF AND HAMILTON POSING FOR PHOTOS BRIXWORTH, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (OCTOBER 11, 2016) (REUTERS) ROSBERG, HAMILTON AND WOLFF POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS WITH THEIR FORMULA ONE CARS AND THE 500 STAFF AT MERCEDES' HIGH PERFORMANCE POWERTRAINS FACILITY LOGO ON AN ENGINE, READING: "MERCEDES AMG HIGH PERFORMANCE POWERTRAINS" HAMILTON CHEERING ALONG WITH MERCEDES STAFF HAMILTON, ROSBERG AND MERCEDES STAFF THROWING THE PLACARDS UP AS CONFETTI IS FIRED INTO THE AIR CONFETTI IN THE AIR / ROSBERG AND LAUDA CHEERING / HAMILTON THROWING HIS PLACARD INTO THE AIR SILVERSTONE, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - FEBRUARY 23, 2017) (REUTERS) LEWIS HAMILTON AT LAUNCH OF NEW 2017 SEASON MERCEDES F1 CAR HAMILTON AND TEAM MATE VALTTERI BOTTAS SITTING ON CAR MERCEDES F1 BOSS TOTO WOLFF WITH HAMILTON AND BOTTAS HAMILTON POSES FOR PHOTOGRAPHS WITH MEMBERS OF MERCEDES TEAM WITH CAR SILVERSTONE, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - FEBRUARY 22, 2018) (REUTERS) RACING DRIVER LEWIS HAMILTON (SECOND FROM RIGHT), TEAM MATE VALTTERI BOTTAS (SECOND FROM LEFT), MERCEDES TEAM CEO, TOTO WOLFF (CENTRE), MANAGING DIRECTOR - MERCEDES AMG, ANDY COWELL (FAR RIGHT) AND TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, JAMES ALLISON (FAR LEFT), STANDING BEHIND CAR AT THE 2018 MODEL'S LAUNCH HAMILTON SMILING FOR CAMERAS BOTTAS, WOLFF AND HAMILTON STANDING BEHIND CAR VARIOUS OF HAMILTON DRIVING 2018 MERCEDES CAR AROUND SILVERSTONE TRACK BRIXWORTH, NEAR NORTHAMPTON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - NOVEMBER 13, 2018) (REUTERS) MERCEDES DRIVER LEWIS HAMILTON SITTING WITH TEAM MERCEDES DRIVER LEWIS HAMILTON (LEFT) AND VALTTERI BOTTAS (RIGHT) SITTING IN FRONT OF MERCEDES TEAM AND FANS HAMILTON RAISES HAND IN THE AIR WITH FIVE FINGERS TO SIGNIFY MERCEDES' FIVE CONSTRUCTOR CHAMPIONSHIP WINS VARIOUS OF HAMILTON BEING PHOTOGRAPHED
- Embargoed: 17th July 2021 10:30
- Keywords: Formula One Lewis Hamilton Mercedes deal
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Motor Racing,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA006EKAC9BZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton will be staying in Formula One for the next two years at least after he and Mercedes announced a contract extension on Saturday (July 3).
The new deal covers 2022 and 2023.
Hamilton, who joined Mercedes from McLaren in 2013 as replacement for retired seven-time champion Michael Schumacher, was out of contract at the end of this season after agreeing a one-year deal only in February.
Hamilton is the sport's most successful driver of all time, with 98 wins and 100 pole positions, and Mercedes had said they did not want to leave it so late again.
Hamilton is fighting for a record eighth title but is second in the current championship, 18 points behind Red Bull's Max Verstappen after eight races.
Wolff said there was "no better driver" to have in the team as they prepare for major rule changes in 2022.
Liberty Media-owned Formula One welcomed the announcement that its star property had ended any speculation about his future.
Hamilton's team mate for 2022 remains to be decided, with Finland's Valtteri Bottas out of contract and young Briton George Russell tipped to replace him.
(Production: Andy Ragg)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None