- Title: Roglic abandons Tour de France before stage nine
- Date: 4th July 2021
- Summary: SAINT-LAURENT-DU-VAR, FRANCE (AUGUST 28, 2020) (REUTERS) ROGLIC WALKING OUT OF THE HOTEL ENTRANCE ROGLIC WALKING THROUGH THE GATE
- Embargoed: 18th July 2021 09:53
- Keywords: Primoz Roglic Tour de France injury withdraw
- Location: VIERZON TO LE CREUSOT AND SAINT-LAURENT-DU-VAR, FRANCE
- City: VIERZON TO LE CREUSOT AND SAINT-LAURENT-DU-VAR, FRANCE
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Sport,Tennis
- Reuters ID: LVA002EKFBQ67
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Primoz Roglic, last year's runner-up, abandoned the Tour de France before stage nine after suffering multiple bruises when he crashed in stage three, the Slovenian cyclist said on Sunday (July 4).
"We made the decision together with the team, it doesn't make sense to continue. We're going to try to recover and focus on new goals," the Jumbo-Visma rider said in a statement.
Roglic's title hopes faded as he finished Saturday's eighth stage more than 35 minutes behind Belgian Dylan Teuns.
The two-time Vuelta champion, who lost the Tour last year in the final time trial, had already been dropped by the overall contenders in the seventh stage on Friday.
"I was going through the days but it wasn't taking anywhere really," he said. "I was in a lot of pain. It was just too much for my body and I cannot race. I'm disappointed but I have to accept it. It's the right decision."
Roglic will now focus on the Tokyo Olympics' road race.
(Production: Andy Ragg)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None