- Title: Italy fans "in paradise" after beating Spain to reach Euro 2020 final
- Date: 7th July 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JULY 6, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ITALY FANS SINGING AND DANCING OUTSIDE WEMBLEY STADIUM ITALY FANS CHANTING "ITALIA, ITALIA" (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) ITALY FAN, CRISTIANO, SAYING: "I am super excited. It was beautiful. Spain made Italy suffer, but they have given us a dream. A dream that we will live here in Wembley on Sunday." (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) ITALY FAN, MARIO STORTI, SAYING: "We are in paradise. In paradise. We are in the final and it will be great!" VARIOUS MORE OF ITALY FANS CELEBRATING ITALY FAN HOLDING UP POSTER READING (ITALIAN) "PASTA LAVISTA BABY" (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) UNNAMED ITALY FAN, SAYING: "We are in the final. We will beat England. England will beat Denmark tomorrow and we will beat England on Sunday. Perfect. For us. Our final will be Sunday." (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) ITALY FAN, SERGIO CORNAL, SAYING: "Amazing. Amazing. We made it. Long live the Azzurri. Go, go! VARIOUS OF FANS LEAVING WEMBLEY STADIUM VARIOUS OF MOUNTED POLICE (SOUNDBITE) (English) SPAIN FAN, SAYING: "I don't think Italy played well. I think we missed our opportunity and at the end of the day we went to penalties and as you probably know this is a lottery and they were lucky. I don't think they will be lucky again. So, I hope England can beat them." (SOUNDBITE) (English) SPAIN FAN, SAYING: "Amazing, Spain deserved to win, I think. They were absolutely all over Italy. They were absolutely all over them. Thought it was just a shame penalties, but played amazing they can turn 'round the corner and do really well." (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) SPAIN FAN, SAYING: "I don't think it was so bad. I think we deserved to win and we lost. But we reached the semi-finals and Spain has shown a good soccer level, a good generation of footballers and we will probably reach many more semi-finals, finals and I am sure we will win a lot of tournaments." ITALY FANS CELEBRATING OUTSIDE WEMBLEY STADIUM
- Embargoed: 21st July 2021 00:34
- Keywords: Euro 2020 European Championship Italy Spain fans
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001EKPCSHR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Italy stormed into the finals of the Euro 2020 on Tuesday (July 6) sending fans into a frenzy after edging Spain 4-2 on penalties following a compelling 1-1 draw after extra time on Tuesday (July 6), completing a remarkable revival after failing to qualify for the last World Cup.
"We are in paradise. In paradise!" said Mario Storti as he left Wembley.
"I am super excited. It was beautiful. Spain made Italy suffer but they have given us a dream. A dream that we will live here in Wembley on Sunday," said a man identified as Cristiano.
Jorginho coolly rolled the decisive kick past Spain keeper Unai Simon in the semi-final at Wembley after Alvaro Morata had been thwarted by a fine save from Italy's Gianluigi Donnarumma and Dani Olmo had blasted his effort over the bar.
Italy's substitutes and coaching staff poured on to the pitch celebrate in front of their jubilant supporters behind the goal after Jorginho's kick booked their place in Sunday's final against either England or Denmark.
Roberto Mancini's side took the lead on the hour through a sensational curler from Federico Chiesa to complete a sweeping counter-attack which began with keeper Donnarumma catching a Spain cross and rolling the ball out.
Italy avenged their shootout defeat to Spain in the Euro 2008 quarter-finals and their resounding defeat in the Euro 2012 final, and completed a second straight European Championship victory over the Spaniards after their 2-0 win in the last 16 at Euro 2016.
Italy will face the winner of Wednesday's (July 7) second semi-final between England and Denmark.
(Production: Ben Makori, Will Russell)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None