- Title: England supporters celebrate Denmark victory as they leave Wembley
- Date: 8th July 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JULY 7, 2021) (REUTERS) POLICE MOVING FANS AWAY FROM THE FRONT OF WEMBLEY STADIUM POLICE HORSES APPROACHING / POLICE MOVING FANS POLICE HORSES / FANS OUTSIDE WEMBLEY POLICE DOG BARKING VARIOUS OF FANS LEAVING WEMBLEY STADIUM (SOUNDBITE) (English) DENMARK FAN, KATRINA KAVENGA, AND ENGLAND FAN, BEN COX, SAYING: KATRINA: "It was lovely." BEN: "Unlucky for her. Amazing for me. Guess it's coming home, eh?" FANS WALKING AWAY FROM WEMBLEY STADIUM (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED ENGLAND FAN, SAYING: "Amazing, amazing. What a game? What a game? C'mon England! Lost my voice, can't speak. C'mon England." FANS LEAVING WEMBLEY STADIUM (SOUNDBITE) (English) JACOB, SAYING: "It was OK. It was a good game. I think England deserved that. You were the better team. Good luck." VARIOUS OF FANS LEAVING WEMBLEY STADIUM (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED DENMARK FAN SAYING: "It was a great match. I think the Danes can be very proud of how they played. England was probably the better team at the end but we're still proud." FANS WALKING AWAY FROM WEMBLEY STADIUM (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED ENGLAND FAN SAYING: "Pretty good. Tired them out. Hit them on the break. Used our pace and then kind of went through on extra time. I thought the first thing Kane was a penalty in the box that went to VAR, but the second thing definitely was." FANS LEAVING (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED DENMARK FAN SAYING: "It was amazing. It was amazing. After 2 years of Covid it was an incredibly experience being with so many people." VARIOUS OF FANS LEAVING WEMBLEY
- Embargoed: 22nd July 2021 01:51
- Keywords: Denmark England Euro 2020 European Championship Wembley Stadium fans supporters
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002EKUCQPR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:England and their long-suffering fans finally have the chance to add another trophy to the 1966 World Cup after they overcame Denmark 2-1 in extra-time on Wednesday (July 7) to reach the European Championship final for the first time.
Harry Kane's goal, following up after his penalty had been saved, finally saw off battling Denmark to set-up a Sunday (July 11) showdown against Italy, also looking to shake off the '60s as they seek to win the title they last lifted in 1968.
Supporters leaving Wembley Stadium and those in the Trafalgar Square fan zone celebrated the victory that secured their first appearance in a major tournament final for 55 years.
The Danes had taken a 30th-minute lead when Mikkel Damsgaard stunned the home crowd with a brilliant free kick from 25 metres out which flew into the net.
England drew level nine minutes later when Kane's clever pass allowed Bukayo Saka to get behind the Danish defence and his low ball across was turned into his own net by Simon Kjaer.
After a goalless second half, England secured a place in their first tournament final since 1966 when Raheem Sterling was ruled to have been brought down in the box by Joakim Maehle and although Denmark keeper Kasper Schmeichel pushed out Kane's penalty, the England captain pounced to drive home the winner.
(Production: Gerry Mey, Stuart McDill, Tim Hart)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None