- Title: Some 60,000 fans make their way to Wembley for England v Denmark
- Date: 7th July 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (JULY 7, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CROWDS OF ENGLAND AND DENMARK FANS ARRIVING AT WEMBLEY STADIUM ENGLAND FANS, SINGING "YOU'RE DEFENCE IS TERRIFIED. STERLING IS ON FIRE" YELLOW SMOKE FLARE OVER CROWDS
- Embargoed: 21st July 2021 18:27
- Keywords: England England v Denmark Euro 2020 Wembley Wembley stadium crowds fans
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001EKUFTC7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Wembley Stadium - often referred to as the home of football - welcomed 60,000 fans for Wednesday's (July 7) Euro 2020 semi-final between England and Denmark.
But the question is whether football will be coming home for hosts England who have the chance to reach a first major final since their 1966 World Cup triumph.
Crowd capacity at Wembley Stadium has been increased to more than 60,000 fans for the semi-finals and final of Euro 2020 under a pilot scheme.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel said she was worried about UEFA's decision to allow bigger crowds during a spike in the coronavirus crisis caused by the Delta variant. British Prime Minister Boris Johnson rebuffed the concerns, saying the government will follow scientific guidance and that there are certain events that are put on in a "very careful and controlled manner with testing of everybody who goes there."
England last played in the Euros semi-finals in 1996 at the same venue where they were knocked out when now-coach Gareth Southgate missed a penalty in a shootout against Germany.
Although Denmark - who won the tournament in 1992 - aren't going into the semi as favourites, coach Kasper Hjulmand has said his team won't be entering the Wembley pitch feeling like underdogs as they plan to go on the attack.
(Production: Gerry Mey, Simon Evans, Emily Roe)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None