- Title: England fans excited for historic Euro final
- Date: 8th July 2021
- Summary: VARIOUS OF FRONT PAGES OF BRITISH NEWSPAPERS (MUTE)
- Embargoed: 22nd July 2021 10:49
- Keywords: Denmark England Euro 2020 Euro 2020 final European Championship Gareth Southgate Harry Kane Wembley Stadium
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002EKZEV5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: England's long-suffering soccer fans were in dreamland on Thursday (July 8) after their team overcame Denmark 2-1 in extra time on Wednesday (July 7) to reach the European Championship final for the first time.
The last major final England appeared in was when the team beat West Germany to lift the World Cup in 1966.
Team captain Harry Kane's goal, scored on the rebound after his penalty had been saved, finally saw off battling Denmark to set up a Sunday (July 11) showdown against an Italy side that last won the title in 1968.
Denmark briefly sent jitters throughout England when they took the lead with a sensational first-half free-kick that silenced much of London's Wembley Stadium, but England equalised when Simon Kjaer bundled Bukayo Saka's cross into his own net.
England fans will now be planning for Sunday's final - again at Wembley - but face an Italy side that has gone unbeaten for nearly three years.
(Production: Will Russell, Ben Makori)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains images from newspapers or magazines. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.