- Title: Palestinian woman launches portable hair and beauty salon in West Bank
- Date: 8th July 2021
- Summary: NABLUS, WEST BANK (JULY 7, 2021) (REUTERS) PINK AND BLACK MINIBUS WITH THE PICTURE OF MARILYN MONROE PAINTED ON IT AND SIGN READING (English): " GLITTER, BEAUTY ON THE WAY, BY YASMEEN SALOON" EXTERIOR OF YASMEEN SALON AND GLITTER'S PINK MINIBUS PARKED IN FRONT OF IT MAKEUP ARTIST AND CO-FOUNDER OF SALON SAHAR AHMAD, ENTERING MINIBUS INTERIOR OF MINIBUS SHOWING SMALL BEAUTY PARLOUR WITH PINK FURNITURE AHMAD APPLYING MAKE-UP ON WOMAN'S FACE AHMAD APPLYING MAKE-UP ON WOMAN'S EYE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) CO-FOUNDER OF YASMEEN SALON, YASMEEN MOHAMAD, SAYING: "We had some challenges with brides arriving, the bride's companions, and those who have a special event, are sometimes not able to reach the salon easily, or those who are short on time, so we came up with the idea of helping them by providing them with our services without losing a single minute from their day." EYE SHADOW PALETTE / AHMAD APPLYING EYE SHADOW ON CLIENT'S EYE VARIOUS OF MAKE-UP SUPPLIES AHMAD APPLYING MAKE-UP ON CLIENT'S FACE CLIENT'S EYES (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) CO-FOUNDER OF YASMEEN SALON, YASMEEN MOHAMAD, SAYING: "The Salon became in demand in distant locations, people wished they could reach it, so we spared them and sent them the service to their doorsteps, carrying the salon's name, this will be a very unique thing." SIGN ON TOP OF MINIBUS READING (English): "GLITTER, BEAUTY ON THE WAY" PINK MINIBUS PARKED PINK MINIBUS DRIVING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) CO-FOUNDER OF YASMEEN SALON, YASMEEN MOHAMAD, SAYING: "Anything needed for events, like make-up and hairdos, is what we currently provide, but hopefully we aspire in the future to provide wider services, and it's possible that there will be many Glitters (referring to minibus) not just one Glitter." AHMAD WALKING PAST MINIBUS AHMAD OPENING DOOR OF MINIBUS WRITING ON MINIBUS READING (English): "GLITTER" PINK MINIBUS DRIVING AWAY
- Embargoed: 22nd July 2021 12:49
- Keywords: Hair Make-up Mini-bus Salon Services door-to-door services
- Location: NABLUS, WEST BANK
- City: NABLUS, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Living/Lifestyle,Middle East,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001EKZDVMD
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Makeup artist Sahar Ahmad roams the West Bank in a pink and black minibus with the picture of Marilyn Monroe painted on it.
Named 'Glitter' and adorned with the slogan "Beauty on the way," the minibus serves brides and clients short on time and unable to reach the salon.
The portable hair and beauty salon that was recently launched is inspired by COVID-19 restrictions that prevented women from frequenting beauty parlours, in addition to the difficulties they face at checkpoints around the West Bank that cause delays.
Ahmad and her partner Yasmeen Mohammad both co-founded the project.
"The Salon became in demand in distant locations, people wished they could reach it, so we spared them and sent them the service to their doorsteps," said Yasmeen Mohammad.
The pair aspire to grow their business by expanding their services and operating more minibuses.
(Production: Ismael Khader, Mohamad Torokman, Nuha Sharaf).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None