- Title: Search operation continues at plane crash site in Black Sea
- Date: 28th December 2016
- Summary: SOCHI, RUSSIA (DECEMBER 28, 2016) (REUTERS) FLOWERS AND BLACK RIBBON VARIOUS OF SHIPS AND BOATS AT SEA PLANE OVER PIER WOMAN WALKING ALONG SEA VARIOUS OF BOATS AND SHIPS SEAGULLS IN FRONT OF SHIP SHIP WITH LETTERS 'RESCUER' PAINTED ON BOARD SHIP PLATFORM AT SEA AS BIRDS FLY PAST
- Embargoed: 12th January 2017 11:11
- Keywords: Russia Sochi plane crash military orchesrta musicians
- Location: SOCHI, RUSSIA
- City: SOCHI, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Air Accidents,Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA0015ESRZGN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Russian Emergencies Ministry workers continued their search on Wednesday (December 28) for bodies of passengers and parts of the military TU-154 plane which crashed into the Black Sea off the Sochi coast with 92 people on board.
Rescue teams have already recovered several parts of the plane, including a large piece of fuselage with cabin windows as well as all three of the plane's flight recorders.
The investigation into the cause of the crash continues but Russian agencies reported on Tuesday (December 27) that the investigators believe a fault with the plane's wing flaps was the reason it plunged into the Black Sea.
The plane, a Tupolev-154 belonging to the Defence Ministry, disappeared from radar screens two minutes after taking off on Sunday (December 25) from Sochi in southern Russia, killing dozens of Red Army Choir singers and dancers en route to Syria to entertain Russian troops in the run-up to the New Year.
The Defence Ministry says the jet, a Soviet-era plane built in 1983, had last been serviced in September and underwent more major repairs in December 2014.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None