- Title: Thousands of England fans takeover Wembley ahead of Euro final
- Date: 11th July 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JULY 11, 2021) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY*** TENS OF THOUSANDS OF ENGLAND FANS ON OLYMPIC WAY CHANTING AND SINGING FANS IN MEDIEVAL COSTUME, ENGLAND SHIRTS VARIOUS OF THOUSANDS OF FANS ON OLYMPIC WAY OUTSIDE WEMBLEY STADIUM FAN WITH ST GEORGE'S FLAG TIED AROUND HIS NECK / FANS SINGING FANS IN COSTUME, SINGING AND JUMPING ENGLAND FANS WEARING RED AND WHITE WIGS VARIOUS OF FANS SINGING AND BOTTLES BEING THROWN POLICE NEAR WEMBLEY STADIUM VARIOUS OF FANS WALKING THROUGH SMOKE (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND FAN, MATTHEW DOVEY, SAYING: "Home advantage. It's coming home. That's what I reckon. It's going to be a tight game but I think the Italians, second half, their legs are not going to be there. So the key to England winning today is the pace. Raheem Sterling!" FOOTBALL FANS NEAR WEMBLEY STADIUM (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) UK RESIDENT ITALY SUPPORTER, JOHNNY SOLETTA, SAYING "It is going to be a beautiful match, but I would like England to win this time because it would be historic. The fact that they have reached the final is already historic, but winning tonight would be amazing. They played a great tournament, the Premier League season this year was great and the level has clearly gone up and I think England finally deserves to win the EUROs." ENGLAND FAN WAVING RED SMOKE BOMB / FANS SINGING "SWEET CAROLINE" (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND FAN, SEAN GREY, SAYING: "It's going to be a tough game, isn't it?. We're playing Italy. They're hard as nails. They always have been, but I reckon it's going to be 2-1 to England. Who's going to score? It's going to be Harry Kane and it's going to be Pickford, last minute header to win it 2-1." ENGLAND FANS SINGING ELECTRONIC DISPLAY ON THE STADIUM SAYING ITALY V ENGLAND VARIOUS OF FANS OUTSIDE WEMBLEY
- Embargoed: 25th July 2021 17:05
- Keywords: England Euro 2020 European Championship Italy Wembley Stadium fans supporters
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001ELEBR5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS PROFANE LANGUAGE IN SHOT 5
Tens of thousands of supporters descended on London's Wembley Stadium on Sunday (July 11), kick-starting an alcohol-fuelled party hours before England take on Italy in the final of Euro 2020.
By lunchtime the pavements around England's national stadium were slick with beer, and underfoot resembled the stickiest of pub carpets as supporters sang, chanted and hurled drinks while police looked on.
Many set up camp early with thousands queuing to get into pub gardens before lunchtime and others packed into city squares.
Some four hours before the 8pm local kick-off, Wembley Way was crammed with supporters all the way from the underground station to the stadium.
Beer cans and bottles flew through the air as acrid smoke from flares drifted through the crowd and supporters, dressed in England shirts of various vintages, sang and chanted.
The exuberant scenes at the stadium were replicated across the city.
"It's coming home. That's what I reckon. It's going to be a tight game but I think the Italians, second half, their legs are not going to be there," said Matthew Dowey, while on his way to Wembley.
Johnny Soletta, an Italian UK resident echoed the sentiment and said he hoped England would win for historic reasons.
"The fact that they have reached the final is already historic, but winning tonight would be amazing," he said.
"The level has clearly gone up and I think England finally deserves to win the EUROs," he said.
England are looking to win their first major title since lifting the 1966 World Cup.
(Production: Tim Hart)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None