- Title: Londoners hope England can bring it home on Sunday
- Date: 10th July 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JULY 10, 2021) (REUTERS) PICCADILLY CIRCUS IN CENTRAL LONDON WITH ADVERTS IN BACKGROUND COCA COLA ADVERT IN ENGLAND COLOURS COCA COLA ADVERT, READING: "BRING IT HOME, ENGLAND" TRAFFIC IN LONDON ENGLAND FLAGS BUSES DRIVING NEAR TRAFALGAR SQUARE STATUE OF ADMIRAL NELSON ON TOP OF NELSON'S COLUMN VARIOUS OF CAVALRY OUTSIDE HORSE GUARDS PARADE PREPARATION UNDERWAY AT THE TRAFALGAR SQUARE FAN ZONE VARIOUS OF FAN ZONE PREPARATIONS (SOUNDBITE) (English) DAVE WALKER FROM NOTTINGHAM, SAYING: "I'm not normally a football supporter but you're drawn into the moment. It's a very special occasion and I think we're going to do good and we're going to bring it home." PEDESTRIANS ON OXFORD STREET (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND FAN, JOHN WHITE-OPIO, SAYING: "England is going to win (sic) Italy because we have improved over the years. We've got the best tea ever, all over the years. I know that for 56 years we have never come to a final so we're going to take the cup." PEDESTRIANS ON OXFORD STREET (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND FAN, WILL SARGENT, SAYING: "I'm nervous yeah. It's like, if we win, I don't know what will happen. If we lose then it's the same way but after everything we've seen since 96 and everything, I don't know. In my lifetime I thought I'd never see a final."
- Embargoed: 24th July 2021 14:32
- Keywords: England Euro 2020 Final Fans Italy
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001EL9BMMF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Excitement is mounting in London as England and Italy prepare for their Euro 2020 final clash at Wembley on Sunday night (July 11).
One soccer fan in central London said he was nervous already.
"I'm nervous yeah," said Will Sargent. "In my lifetime I thought I'd never see a final," he said.
This is only England's second appearance in a major final but will be Italy's 10th.
"England is going to win (sic) Italy because we have improved over the years. We've got the best team ever," said John White-Opio.
COVID-19 quarantine restrictions mean the 60,000 crowd on Sunday will be overwhelmingly English, just as it was when the team won their only major title, the 1966 World Cup also at Wembley.
(Production: Gerhard Mey, Stuart McDill)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None