- Title: Mobile salon brings beauty services to West Bank women
- Date: 11th July 2021
- Summary: NABLUS, WEST BANK (JULY 7, 2021) (REUTERS) PINK-AND-BLACK MINIBUS WITH THE PICTURE OF U.S. FILM-STAR MARILYN MONROE PAINTED ON IT AND SIGN READING (English): "GLITTER, BEAUTY ON THE WAY, BY YASMEEN SALOON" NABLUS, WEST BANK (JULY 7, 2021) (REUTERS) (MUTE) MAKEUP ARTIST AND CO-FOUNDER OF THE SALON, SAHAR AHMAD ENTERING MINIBUS NABLUS, WEST BANK (JULY 7, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SAHAR AHMAD APPLYING MAKEUP TO A WOMAN'S FACE INTERIOR OF MINIBUS SHOWING A SMALL BEAUTY PARLOUR WITH PINK FURNITURE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MAKEUP ARTIST AND CO-FOUNDER OF THE SALON, SAHAR AHMAD, APPLYING MAKE UP TO A WOMAN'S FACE, SAYING: "I had the idea because there were mobile restaurants. We used to see the mobile restaurants on TV, we didn't have any in Palestine. So I was thinking about having a mobile salon. It is nice for a woman to have this service that comes to her." EYE SHADOW PALETTE EYE SHADOW PALETTE / AHMAD APPLYING EYE SHADOW ON WOMAN'S EYE VARIOUS OF MAKEUP SUPPLIES AHMAD APPLYING MAKEUP ON WOMAN'S FACE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MAKEUP ARTIST AND CO-FOUNDER OF THE SALON, SAHAR AHMAD, APPLYING MAKE UP TO A WOMAN'S FACE, SAYING: "Most of the clients are people who are from outside Nablus, who can't come to Yasmeen Salon, and who can't take the service directly from Yasmeen Salon Makeup and Hair. What makes our salon unique, when we park near the client's house, we have privacy because we only serve one client or a group but not many people inside the salon." CLIENT'S EYES (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) CLIENT OF GLITTER SALON, LARA, SAYING: "First of all she comes to our place, it's quiet without noise. No stress, we are alone and relaxing inside this van." SIGN ON TOP OF MINIBUS READING (English): "GLITTER, BEAUTY ON THE WAY" PINK MINIBUS PARKED, NABLUS BUILDINGS IN BACKGROUND PINK MINIBUS DRIVING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) YASMEEN MOHAMAD, CO-FOUNDER OF YASMEEN SALON, SAYING: "Everything that is needed for events, like makeup and hairdos, is what we currently provide. But hopefully, we aspire to provide wider services in the future and it's possible that there will be many Glitters (minibuses), not just one Glitter." AHMAD WALKING PAST MINIBUS AHMAD OPENING THE DOOR OF THE MINIBUS WRITING ON MINIBUS READING (English): "GLITTER" PINK MINIBUS DRIVING AWAY NABLUS, WEST BANK (JULY 7, 2021) (REUTERS) (MUTE) DRONE FOOTAGE SHOWING PINK GLITTER MINIBUS DRIVING THROUGH NABLUS STREET
- Embargoed: 25th July 2021 09:09
- Keywords: COVID-19 West Bank hairdresser mobile
- Location: NABLUS, WEST BANK
- City: NABLUS, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Middle East,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001ELEAXY1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Makeup artist Sahar Ahmad travels the West Bank in a pink-and-black minibus with the picture of Marilyn Monroe painted on it.
Named 'Glitter' and adorned with the slogan "Beauty on the way," the minibus serves brides and clients short on time or ones who are unable to reach the salon.
The portable hair and beauty salon that was recently launched is inspired by COVID-19 restrictions that prevented women from frequenting beauty parlours, in addition to the difficulties they face at checkpoints around the West Bank.
Ahmad, who worked at 'Yasmeen Salon' collaborated with its owner Yasmeen Mohammad to set it up.
"The salon became in demand in distant locations, people wished they could reach it, so we spared them (the trouble) and sent the service to their doorsteps," said Yasmeen Mohammad.
The pair aspire to grow their business by expanding their services and operating more minibuses.
(Production: Ismael Khader, Mohamad Torokman, Nuha Sharaf)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None