- Title: England fans united in disappointment after Euro defeat
- Date: 12th July 2021
- Summary: BRITISH NEWSPAPER HEADLINES FRONT PAGE OF THE DAILY MIRROR WITH HEADLINE READING (English): "HEARTBREAK" SUB-HEADLINE ON THE DAILY TELEGRAPH READING (English): "THE ULTIMATE AGONY... PENALTIES HEARTBREAK AGAIN" HEADLINE ON THE DAILY MAIL READING (English): "IT ALL ENDS IN TEARS" FRONT PAGE OF THE THE DAILY EXPRESS WITH THE HEADLINE (English): "BUT WE'RE SO PROUD OF YOU" VARIOUS OF NEWSPAPER FRONT PAGES SHOWING ENGLAND MANAGER GARETH SOUTHGATE CONSOLING ENGLAND PLAYER BUKAYO SAKA
- Embargoed: 26th July 2021 11:34
- Keywords: England Euro 2020 Italy London Bridge River Thames Tower Bridge Wembley defeat fans players
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002ELJCYFB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Monday (July 12) morning commuters in London were coming to terms with England's defeat to Italy in the Euro 2020 final at Wembley the previous night.
Italy inflicted heartbreak on England after a penalty shootout, with pundits and ex-players praising the efforts of both teams.
While the disappointment was palpable, England fans have shown pride in their team for reaching a first major final since the World Cup victory of 1966.
Defender Luke Shaw gave England an early lead in the second minute of the match before Leonardo Bonucci equalised in the second half, with the game finishing 1-1 after extra time.
While England goalkeeper Jordan Pickford saved two spot-kicks in the resulting penalty shootout, his Italian counterpart Gianluigi Donnarumma saved the decisive kick from Bukayo Saka after misses from late substitutes Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford.
The 3-2 shootout win clinched Italy a second European title and its first since 1968.
(Production: Will Russell, Stuart McDill)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains images from newspapers or magazines. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.