- Title: England fans united in disappointment after Euro defeat
- Date: 12th July 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JULY 12, 2021) (REUTERS) TOWER BRIDGE OVER THE RIVER THAMES WARSHIP IN FRONT OF TOWER BRIDGE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING OVER LONDON BRIDGE (SOUNDBITE) (English) 60-YEAR-OLD FROM LINCOLNSHIRE, SIMON ELLIS, SAYING: "It was great that we were there. Fantastic. The first finally... I actually can just remember '66, so the first real final that I've been involved with. I'm an old man now! So it's a shame but it was great fun." (SOUNDBITE) (English) 22-YEAR-OLD CITY WORKER, LEWIS LUI, SAYING: "I think it was poor decision making from the manager towards the end. Yeah, I don't know, I think it's the manager who's to blame but that players tried hard obviously. They wanted to win it more than anyone else." (SOUNDBITE) (English) 45-YEAR-OLD ENGLAND FAN, MARIAMA ADAMSI, SAYING: "This is the first time we've been in the final, so I was... I mean, it was sad we didn't win, but taking everything into consideration we are in a better place coming in the next 15 years, or whatever." (SOUNDBITE) (English) 25-YEAR-OLD ENGLAND FAN, RICHARD PHILLIPS, SAYING: "Yeah, it was great. It was a good atmosphere. It's been a long time since we got that far (in a tournament). So that was something, wasn't it?" (SOUNDBITE) (English) 54-YEAR-OLD ENGLAND FAN, HELI KORTE, SAYING: "Disappointed, of course. Sad. There was so much expectations, so much hoping... You know, it was hard to watch, but it was exciting to watch. Hopefully next year is the (one)."
- Embargoed: 26th July 2021 11:34
- Keywords: England Euro 2020 Italy London Bridge River Thames Tower Bridge Wembley defeat fans players
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001ELJCYFB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Monday (July 12) morning commuters in London were coming to terms with England's defeat to Italy in the Euro 2020 final at Wembley the previous night.
Italy inflicted heartbreak on England after a penalty shootout, with pundits and ex-players praising the efforts of both teams.
While the disappointment was palpable, England fans have shown pride in their team for reaching a first major final since the World Cup victory of 1966.
Defender Luke Shaw gave England an early lead in the second minute of the match before Leonardo Bonucci equalised in the second half, with the game finishing 1-1 after extra time.
While England goalkeeper Jordan Pickford saved two spot-kicks in the resulting penalty shootout, his Italian counterpart Gianluigi Donnarumma saved the decisive kick from Bukayo Saka after misses from late substitutes Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford.
The 3-2 shootout win clinched Italy a second European title and its first since 1968.
(Production: Will Russell, Stuart McDill)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None