- Title: Iraqi forces resume Mosul offensive against Islamic State
- Date: 29th December 2016
- Summary: VARIOUS OF ARMY VEHICLES DRIVING DOWN A ROAD
- Embargoed: 13th January 2017 16:38
- Keywords: Intisar Mosul Iraq army tanks missiles Islamic State Daesh
- Location: INTISAR NEIGHBOURHOOD, EASTERN MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: INTISAR NEIGHBOURHOOD, EASTERN MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0035EXSYTJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Iraqi security forces began the second phase of their offensive against Islamic State militants in Mosul on Thursday (December 29), pushing from three directions into eastern districts where the battle has been deadlocked for nearly a month.
U.S.-backed forces have retaken a quarter of the jihadists' last major stronghold in Iraq in the biggest ground operation there since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion to topple Saddam Hussein.
More than 5,000 soldiers and federal police troops, redeployed from Mosul's southern outskirts, entered half a dozen southeastern districts, while counter-terrorism forces advanced in al-Quds and Karama districts after reinforcements arrived.
A U.S.-led coalition backing the Iraqis said the operation had opened two new fronts inside Mosul and limited Islamic State's ability to raise fighter numbers, move them or resupply.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None