- Title: Protesters rally for Cuba throughout Florida
- Date: 14th July 2021
- Summary: TAMPA, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES (JULY 13, 2021) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS MARCHING WITH POLICE CARS BEHIND THEM POLICE CARS PROTESTERS HOLDING CUBAN FLAG (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) UNIDENTIFIED PROTESTER, SAYING: "We are supporting the people of Cuba because we have our freedom. We love Cuba. We are with you." (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED PROTESTER, SAYING: "Very proud of every Cuban out here that is trying to get their country - free country. I'm not Cuban but my husband is and I'm here for him." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WAVING CUBAN FLAGS PROTESTERS SINGING
- Embargoed: 28th July 2021 07:07
- Keywords: Cuba demonstrators support
- Location: TAMPA AND HIALEAH GARDENS AND ORLANDO, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES
- City: TAMPA AND HIALEAH GARDENS AND ORLANDO, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,United States,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001ELTBPS7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Demonstrators waving Cuban flags and calling for change on the Communist-run island turned out in rallies throughout Florida on Tuesday (July 13) in support of the wave of demonstrations that rocked Cuba on Sunday.
Protests were seen in Tampa, Hialeah Gardens and Orlando. The Miami area has long been home to the largest Cuban exile community and a focal point for anti-Castro sentiment.
The South Florida demonstrators sought to replicate the protests by thousands of Cubans on Sunday who denounced a deep economic crisis, shortages of basic goods and power outages in the largest showing of unrest in decades.
"If Cuba is in the street, Miami is too," many chanted.
Other demonstrations popped up in places such as Tamiami Park in the Westchester neighborhood, where protesters called for "intervention" and shouted: "Patria y Vida," or "Homeland and Life," a slogan popularized by prominent Cuban recording artists.
The phrase plays on the Cuban revolutionary slogan "Patria o Muerte," meaning "Homeland or Death," a rallying cry and call for sacrifice from Fidel Castro's 1959 leftist revolution.
(Production: Octavio Jones)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None