- Title: Polo Ralph Lauren U.S. outfit ready for hot, humid and unique summer Olympics
- Date: 14th July 2021
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (JULY 14, 2021) (REUTERS) POLO RALPH LAUREN OLYMPIC OUTFIT FOR U.S. OLYMPIC TEAM ON DISPLAY AT POLO RALPH LAUREN SOHO STORE / U.S.A. WATER BOTTLES / FRAMED CARD THAT READS (English) "FOR TEAM USA / FOR THE PLANET" SCAN OF U.S.A. CLOTHES ON RACK / TEAM U.S.A. BAG U.S.A. FLAG ON JERSEY / POLO SPORT RALPH LAUREN HAT CLOTHING TAG THAT READS, "POLO RALPH LAUREN OFFICIAL OUTFITTER U.S. OLYMPIC TEAM" / SWEATER PILE OF SWEATERS / SEAL FOR OLYMPIC AND PARALYMPIC TEAM PILE OF T-SHIRTS FOR TOKYO GAMES THREE TIME OLYMPIAN, OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST AND RALPH LAUREN AMBASSADOR, CONNOR FIELDS, IN CONVERSATION (SOUNDBITE) (English) THREE-TIME OLYMPIAN, OLYMPIC BMX RACER GOLD MEDALIST AND POLO RALPH LAUREN AMBASSADOR, CONNOR FIELDS, SAYING: "Every Olympic cycle, Ralph Lauren puts together a bunch of different outfits and outfits, Team USA with both the village wear as well as the opening and closing ceremonies uniforms. And they always try to put a little bit of a spin on it based on where we're competing, whether that's in London, Rio in this time, now Japan. With some of the line this time around, you'll see Japanese lettering of the words, 'Tokyo,' and things like that, as well as a little bit more red, because that is the color of the Japanese flag. And what I'm wearing here today is the opening ceremonies outfit. So when we're walking into the stadium representing the country, this is what we'll be wearing."
- Embargoed: 28th July 2021 19:20
- Keywords: Olympics 2021 Polo Ralph Lauren Prince Street Soho Team USA Tokyo Olympics
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED StATES / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED StATES / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- Country: USA
- Topics: Olympics,Sport,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA001ELTDOW7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:As the world gears up for a summer Olympics like none other, team U.S.A. is turning to the familiar for its official uniform.
The Olympics will take place without spectators in host city Tokyo as a resurgent coronavirus has forced Japan to declare a state of emergency in the capital that will run throughout the Games.
And as they have since 2008, the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Teams have tapped Polo Ralph Lauren to design their look for the opening and closing ceremonies that will still be viewed via television.
The U.S. fashion designer invited Reuters to its store Wednesday (July 14) in the Soho neighborhood of Manhattan for a viewing of the line.
And the clothes beam red, white and blue while evoking the Polo Ralph Lauren brand's classic prep look.
"They fit your size, they customize everything to fit every athlete. So when we walk in, not only do we look cool, we feel cool - excuse my expression - we even smell cool," Peter Westbook, a former flag bearer for Team U.S.A., six-time Olympic fencer and Polo Ralph Lauren ambassador, told Reuters.
The brand has made sure to particularly emphasize reds in the line in a nod to host country, Japan, it said.
Tokyo's blistering summer heat also figured prominently in the design. The jacket for the U.S. flag bearer will feature a cut hole in the back to make room for cooling technology and a battery pack.
Originally scheduled for last year, the summer Games will run from July 23 to August 8 in the Japanese capital.
For Polo Ralph Lauren, the delay hardly dampened the designer's vision.
"Everything was ready to go in 2020 and just had to be put on hold," said, Connor Fields, a brand ambassador and three-time Olympian for BMX racing.
(Production by: Andrew Hofstetter and Dan Fastenberg)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None