- Title: Sorin Grindeanu named as Romania's prime minister-designate
- Date: 30th December 2016
- Summary: BUCHAREST, ROMANIA (DECEMBER 29, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PARLIAMENT BUILDING, WHERE THE NEWS CONFERENCE TOOK PLACE
- Embargoed: 14th January 2017 14:49
- Keywords: Romania Prime Minister Sorin Grindeanu
- Location: BUCHAREST, ROMANIA
- City: BUCHAREST, ROMANIA
- Country: Romania
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0015F2SEUX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Romania's president accepted Sorin Grindeanu as prime minister on Friday (December 30) after rejecting the ruling Social Democrat Party's (PSD) previous nominee, clearing the path for a new government to be formed next week.
Grindeanu, a 43-year-old mathematician and former deputy mayor of the western city of Timisoara, has 10 days to appoint a cabinet, draft a governing programme and seek backing from parliament, where his leftist coalition holds a clear majority.
Commentators say that process could be completed as soon as January 4.
The PSD's first pick to lead the cabinet was Sevil Shhaideh, a close associate of party leader Liviu Dragnea.
Dragnea's conviction in a 2012 vote-rigging case ruled him out of the job.
President Klaus Iohannis rejected the nomination of Shhaideh, a 52-year-old woman from Romania's 65,000-strong Muslim community, without giving a reason.
The PSD was driven out of office in late 2015 by protests against corruption. It won an election on December 11. It and coalition partner ALDE hold 250 of the 465 seats in the two houses of parliament.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None