- Title: South Korean prime minister calls for unity in New Year speech
- Date: 31st December 2016
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (RECENT - DECEMBER, 2016) (REUTERS) SOUTH KOREAN NATIONAL FLAG (LEFT) AND GOVERNMENT FLAG (RIGHT)
- Embargoed: 15th January 2017 17:14
- Keywords: South Korea Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn New Year message
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0055F7R9L3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: South Korean Prime Minister and acting President Hwang Kyo-ahn called for unity and social cohesion in his New Year speech.
Hwang assumed presidential authority on December 9 after parliament voted to impeach President Park Geun-hye.
Hwang will be the interim president until a Constitutional Court decides whether to uphold the parliamentary motion against Park.
Park is accused of colluding with her old friend Choi Soon-sil to pressure big businesses to make contributions to non-profit foundations backing presidential initiatives.
She has denied wrongdoing but apologised for carelessness in her ties with Choi, a friend for four decades. Choi has also denied wrongdoing.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None