- Title: Marla Gibbs struggles with heat during Hollywood Walk of Fame ceremony
- Date: 20th July 2021
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (JULY 20, 2021) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTRESS MARLA GIBBS, ADDRESSING HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME CEREMONY, SAYING: "And thank you to all of you who have been fans of The Jeffersons and 227, we love you and it's because you watched us that we are able to excel and I'm able to be here today. Thank you. And I want to give special thanks to my daughter and my grandson for all the hard work that went into putting this event together" (GIBBS IS SILENT AT PODIUM) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE COMING TO THE AID OF GIBBS AT PODIUM GIBBS LOWERED INTO SEAT BEHIND PODIUM VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ASSISTING GIBBS GIBBS EMERGES FROM BEHIND PODIUM AND IS GIVEN WATER TO DRINK/GIBBS LEAVES STAGE (SOUNDBITE) (English) ANGELA GIBBS, MARL GIBBS' DAUGHTER, SAYING: "I want to say thank you to everyone who has come out to celebrate my mother, our mother, our queen, and if you don't mind, she just needs a moment she said to just cool down and then we're going to do the unveiling. So for those that want to stay, please do. For those that can't, I understand." AMBULANCE GIBBS SEATED WITH PRODUCER NORMAN LEAR AS HER STAR IS UNVEILED CLOSE-UP OF STAR/PAN UP TO GIBBS AND LEAR GIBBS POSING FOR PHOTOS IN FRONT OF STAR LEAR GOING TO PODIUM TO WAKE SPEAK/ KISSES GIBBS ON THE HEAD (SOUNDBITE) (English) PRODUCER, NORMAN LEAR, SAYING: "There's no place on earth I'd rather be than here at this moment to honor, to share, to love and continue to love this glorious woman, this glorious performer, this glorious comedian and I have a telephone call." (LEAR PULLS OUT CELL PHONE FROM HIS POCKET THAT IS RINGING) LEAR WITH HIS PHONE VARIOUS OF GIBBS AND HER FAMILY POSING FOR PHOTOS IN FRONT OF HER STAR ON THE HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME GIBBS STANDING IN FRONT OF STAR POSING FOR PHOTOS
- Embargoed: 3rd August 2021 23:24
- Keywords: Hollywood Los Angeles Marla Gibbs Walk of Fame star
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts/Culture/Entertainment,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA001EMNCJF1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Marla Gibbs was overwhelmed by the scorching Los Angeles heat on Tuesday (July 20), as the five-time Emmy-nominated actor received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Best known to audiences for her role as maid Florence Johnston in "The Jeffersons," 90-year-old Gibbs was forced to abandon her speech as the heat became too much.
Members of Gibbs' family and ceremony organizers rushed to the stage to assist the actress before she left the stage.
Gibbs' daughter later emerged and assured audience members that her mother just needed to "cool down."
Gibbs returned to the ceremony shortly afterwards, giving interviews to reporters and posing for photos.
Legendary television producer Norman Lear, who developed and produced "The Jeffersons," turned out on Tuesday to show his support for Gibbs, calling her a "glorious woman."
"There's no place on earth I'd rather be than here at this moment to honor, to share, to love and continue to love this glorious woman, this glorious performer, this glorious comedian," Lear said in his speech.
Gibbs was born Margaret Theresa Bradley in Chicago on June 14, 1931. She decided to pursue a career in acting in the early 1970s after moving to Southern California.
After a few minor roles in films, she landed her iconic part in "The Jeffersons,'' which ran on CBS for 10 years brought her five Emmy nominations for best supporting actress in a comedy series.
Gibbs also starred in the NBC comedy "227" which ran on the network for five years.
(Production: Jack Ferry, Omar Younis)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None