- Title: 'Killing Eve' actor Sandra Oh turns 50 on July 21
- Date: 20th July 2021
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - FEBRUARY 9, 2020) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** CANADIAN ACTOR, SANDRA OH POSING AT THE VANITY FAIR OSCAR PARTY LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - DECEMBER 2, 2019) (REUTERS) SANDRA OH POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS AND RUNNING OVER TO ASSISTANT AND BEING WRAPPED IN SHAWL AT THE 2019 BRITISH FASHION AWARDS AT LONDON'S ROYAL ALBERT HALL
- Embargoed: 3rd August 2021 10:22
- Keywords: Eve Polastri Grey's Anatomy Killing Eve actor Sandra Oh
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts/Culture/Entertainment,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA001EMNBZNX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS FOOTAGE THAT WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
Star of British spy thriller television series "Killing Eve", Sandra Oh turns 50 on Tuesday (July 20).
Born to Korean parents in the Ottawa suburb of Nepean in 1971, the Canadian actor began her career as a ballet dancer before studying drama at the National Theatre School in Montreal.
Oh won her first ensemble acting awards for Oscar-winning comedy drama "Sideways" in 2004, co-starring Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church as two middle-aged men embarking on a week-long road trip through California's wine country, before one of them gets hitched. Oh plays Stephanie, who gets tangled up with the groom-to-be.
Oh rose to international fame as Dr. Cristina Yang in hospital drama series "Grey's Anatomy" in 2005, winning the best supporting actress Golden Globe for the part in 2006 and two Screen Actors Guild (SAG) awards in 2006 and 2007, including outstanding performance by a female actor in a drama series. She has also been nominated five times for best supporting actress at the Emmys for the role.
Since 2018, Oh can be seen on the small screen as Eve Polastri, an M15 spy having a crisis of conscience in BBC America's acclaimed "Killing Eve", created by Bond writer Phoebe Waller-Bridge.
Polastri is involved in a cat-and-mouse game with trained assassin and chameleon Villanelle, played by British actor Jodie Comer. The pair become fixated with each other during the deadly chase. The series also co-stars British actor Fiona Shaw as Polastri's M15 boss.
Oh won best actress in a TV series for her spy role at the 2019 Golden Globes that she and U.S. comedian Andy Samberg co-hosted. She also scooped the same accolade at the SAG awards the same year.
As well as playing Polastri, Oh is starring this year in "The Chair", a Netflix comedy drama series that followings the highs and lows of the Chair of an English department at a major university.
(Production: Lisa Giles-Keddie)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None