- Title: Andrew Lloyd Webber cancels "Cinderella" shows, blaming UK government
- Date: 19th July 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - MAY 13, 2021) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** EXTERIORS OF THE GILLIAN LYNNE THEATRE WITH POSTER FOR ''CINDERELLA'' BANNER AROUND THEATRE READING (English): ''WORLD PREMIERE 14 JULY'' POSTER FOR ''CINDERELLA'' LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - DECEMBER 20, 2013) (REUTERS) LLOYD WEBBER SIGNING AUTOGRAPH FOR FAN NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (APRIL 4, 2014) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TIM RICE AND WEBBER ON STAGE AT A PRESS EVENT FOR A TOUR LAUNCH OF ''JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR" IN THE U.S. NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (JANUARY 25, 2017) (REUTERS) ACTRESS GLENN CLOSE AND COMPOSER ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER POSING FOR PICTURES AT THE REVIVAL OF HIS BROADWAY SHOW, "SUNSET BOULEVARD'' CLOSE AND WEBBER WITH DIRECTOR LONNY PRICE VARIOUS OF CLOSE AND WEBBER POSING FOR PICTURES NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - JUNE 12, 2016) (REUTERS) 'HAMILTON' COMPOSER, LIN-MANUEL MIRANDA, ON TONY AWARDS RED CARPET MIRANDA AND LLOYD WEBBER ON RED CARPET LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - MARCH 24, 2020) (REUTERS) STREET SIGN READING (English) "THEATRELAND, HAYMARKET SW1" ENTRANCE DOORS OF HER MAJESTY'S THEATRE POSTER FOR PRODUCTION "THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA" DOORS CLOSED OUTSIDE THEATRE, POSTERS FROM THE SHOW DOOR WITH CLOSURE NOTE IN WINDOW CLOSED DOOR CLOSURE NOTE READING (English) "We've brought the curtain down for a while" LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - MARCH 13, 2020) (REUTERS) STREET SIGN FOR SHAFTESBURY AVENUE AND THEATRELAND PEOPLE AND TRAFFIC ON STREET OUTSIDE THEATRES BILLBOARDS FOR "THRILLER" AND "EVERYBODY'S TALKING ABOUT JAMIE" DISCOUNT THEATRE TICKET SALES SHOP MAN AT THEATRE TICKET SALES BOOTH
- Embargoed: 2nd August 2021 18:59
- Keywords: Andrew Lloyd Webber COVID Cinderella coronavirus production theatre
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Europe,Theatre
- Reuters ID: LVA003EMICH8T
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PLEASE SEE EDIT 1204-HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS/CINDERELLA-LLOYD WEBBER FOR ON CAMERA STATEMENT BY LLOYD WEBBER
Musical theater impresario Andrew Lloyd Webber on Monday (July 19) closed his new London production of "Cinderella" the day before it was due to open after a cast member tested positive for the coronavirus.
Lloyd Webber did not announce a new opening date, blaming "impossible conditions" imposed by the British government.
It was not immediately clear whether the entire production had been cancelled or whether it might open at a later date.
The modern twist on "Cinderella" was due to open in London on Tuesday (July 20), a high-profile new stage show following the closure of theaters for almost 18 months because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Lloyd Webber, the creator of hit shows including "Cats" and "Phantom of the Opera," is one of the most influential and successful figures in the theater world and had been a key voice in urging support for theater during the pandemic.
With music by Lloyd Webber and a story by Oscar-winning screenwriter Emerald Fennell, "Cinderella" had already suffered several delays due to changing restrictions ordered by the British government around quarantine, social distancing, and capacity in indoor entertainment venues.
The government on Monday ended over a year of COVID-19 lockdown restrictions in England but the so-called 'Freedom Day' was marred by surging infections, warnings of supermarket shortages and Prime Minister Boris Johnson's own forced self-isolation.
(Production: Sarah Mills)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None