- Title: Law enforcement officials guard entrance to Russian NY compound
- Date: 30th December 2016
- Summary: UPPER BROOKVILLE, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (DECEMBER 30, 2016) (REUTERS) END OF DRIVEWAY THAT LEADS TO RUSSIA COMPOUND IN NEW YORK THAT WAS CLOSED BY THE U.S. IN HACKING RESPONSE BLACK VAN LEAVING DRIVEWAY VARIOUS OF LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS AT END OF DRIVEWAY END OF DRIVEWAY LEADING TO RUSSIAN COMPOUND VARIOUS OF FENCE AND SECURITY CAMERA AT EDGE OF COMPOUND DRIVEWAY TO COMPOUND
- Embargoed: 14th January 2017 17:09
- Keywords: Barack Obama Obama Putin hacking Upper Brookville Russian compound
- Location: UPPER BROOKVILLE, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: UPPER BROOKVILLE, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0015F2SX1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A Russian compound in Upper Brookville on Long Island in New York was ordered closed on Thursday (December 29). The actions were part of a White House response, including the expulsion of 35 suspected Russian spies, to what U.S. officials have called cyber interference by Moscow in this year's U.S. presidential election campaign. The Kremlin has denied the hacking allegations.
On Friday (December 30) unmarked black vans could be seen departing the driveway to the NY location. Posted at the entrance to the compound were unidentified law enforcement personnel.
The U.S. also ordered closed a sprawling waterfront estate in Centreville, Maryland. The Russians have until noon ET (1700 GMT) on Friday to vacate both premises.
The Maryland estate includes a Georgian-style brick mansion, tennis courts and smaller cottages. It sits on the banks of the Corsica and Chester Rivers, where the locals like to fish, harvest oysters and hunt geese.
The Russian government maintained the Centreville compound after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. Property records show the Russian government owns an estate on Town Point Lane in Centreville valued at $8 million for tax purposes.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None