- Title: Osaka to play at U.S. Open, 'Big Three' lead men's field
- Date: 21st July 2021
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - SEPTEMBER 9, 2018) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF NAOMI OSAKA POSING WITH U.S. OPEN TROPHY AFTER WINNING HER MAIDEN GRAND SLAM TITLE SINGAPORE (FILE - OCTOBER 20, 2018) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF OSAKA PRACTISING LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - NOVEMBER 8, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF NOVAK DJOKOVIC PRACTISING VARIOUS OF RAFAEL NADAL PRACTISING CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA (FILE - FEBRUARY 7, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ROGER FEDERER PRACTISING LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - NOVEMBER 8, 2019) (REUTERS) MORE OF FEDERER PRACTISING NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - AUGUST 28, 2020) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF ARTHUR ASHE STADIUM GENERAL VIEW INSIDE FLUSHING MEADOWS NEW YORK POLICE DEPARTMENT (NYPD) OFFICERS ON HORSES WITH PRACTICE COURTS BEHIND THEM VARIOUS OF PRACTICE COURTS IN USE BALL GOING INTO NET US OPEN SIGN / TENNIS PLAYER EXTERIOR OF ARTHUR ASHE STADIUM
- Embargoed: 4th August 2021 19:20
- Keywords: Flushing Meadows Naomi Osaka Novak Djokovic Rafael Nadal Roger Federer U.S. Open golden slam mental health
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Sport,Tennis,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA001EMSBYNZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Naomi Osaka will defend her title at the U.S. Open, organisers said on Wednesday (July 21), after she withdrew from this year's French Open and Wimbledon on mental health grounds.
Japan's Osaka stunned the tennis world when she quit the claycourt major in Paris in May following her first-round match after being fined and threatened with disqualification when she refused to attend mandatory post-match press conferences.
The world number two, who said she had social anxiety, also skipped Wimbledon but is scheduled to play at the Tokyo Olympics and then in Montreal next month.
Osaka will be part of a women's field at the U.S. Open that will also include world number one Ash Barty, who lifted her second major title at Wimbledon earlier this month.
A total of 15 major winners, including Simona Halep and Garbine Muguruza, are scheduled to feature in the women's field at Flushing Meadows.
In the men's section, former champions Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, and Rafael Nadal -- currently tied for the men's record of 20 Grand Slam singles titles -- will resume their quest for more silverware in New York.
World number one Djokovic, fresh from his third major triumph of 2020 at Wimbledon, is aiming to become the first man since Australia's Rod Laver in 1969 to complete a calendar-year sweep.
Another former champion, Andy Murray, who is currently ranked 104, failed to make the main draw but remains the first player on the alternate list.
The U.S. Open will be held with 100% fan capacity from Aug. 30 to Sept. 12.
(Production: Stefan Haskins)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None