- Title: The Hundred - new cricket competition launches targeting gender equality
- Date: 21st July 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (MAY 30, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF THE ENTRANCE TO OVAL CRICKET GROUND WHERE THE OPENING MATCH OF THE HUNDRED, WHICH IS A STANDALONE WOMEN'S MATCH, WILL BE PLAYED (3 SHOTS)
- Embargoed: 4th August 2021 10:41
- Keywords: Amy Jones Edgbaston Kia Oval Lord's The Hundred cricket equality gender
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Cricket,Europe,Sport,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA00CEMSYM2N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Hundred, a new cricket competition that aims to put gender equality at its heart, launches today (July 21).
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has invested heavily in the competition, which it hopes will attract new, younger audiences to the sport. Matches will comprise 100 balls per innings with a change of ends after 10 deliveries. Eight teams from seven cities will compete in the new competition, that will feature international and domestic cricketers, including England women's and men's World Cup winners. All games will be broadcast live on Sky Sports and the BBC.
Measures have been introduced to make this competition more gender-equal, including gender-neutral language ('batter' instead of 'batsman'), equal investment (equal prize money, hotels, flights), and visibility (all women's games broadcast and equal marketing platform). The salaries will not be the same for the men and the women, which is a point The Hundred says they will be looking to address in the future.
The tournament will start with a standalone women's game between Oval Invincibles and Manchester Originals at the Kia Oval. The men's competition begins a day late on July 22.
The launch of the inaugural edition was postponed last year due to the pandemic.
(Production: Sophie Penney)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None