- Title: Eric Clapton refuses to play venues requiring proof of vaccination - Variety
- Date: 22nd July 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - SEPTEMBER 4, 2018) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF BRITISH MUSICIAN ERIC CLAPTON SPEAKING WITH ROYAL ALBERT HALL CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER CRAIG HASSALL IN FRONT OF ROYAL ALBERT HALL LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - JANUARY 10, 2018) (REUTERS) CLAPTON ARRIVING FOR PHOTOCALL PHOTOGRAPHERS VARIOUS OF CLAPTON POSING FOR PHOTOS
- Embargoed: 5th August 2021 17:19
- Keywords: Eric Clapton coronavirus music vaccination vaccine passport
- Location: INTERNET / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / TORONTO, CANADA / RIGA, LATVIA / DALLAS, TEXAS AND NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: INTERNET / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / TORONTO, CANADA / RIGA, LATVIA / DALLAS, TEXAS AND NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA002EMXBS5P
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: British rocker Eric Clapton will not perform at venues that require audiences to show proof of vaccination to enter, Variety reported on Thursday (July 22).
Clapton shared the announcement on architect, film producer and prolific anti-vaxxer Robin Monotti Graziadei's Telegram account.
"Following the PM's announcement on Monday the 19th of July 2021, I feel honour bound to make an announcement of my own: I wish to say that I will not perform on any stage where there is a discriminated audience present. Unless there is provision made for all people to attend, I reserve the right to cancel the show," the statement said.
The declaration comes after British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Monday (July 19) that English nightclubs and other venues with large crowds will require patrons to present proof of full vaccination from the end of September.
Accompanying the statement was a link to Clapton performing his anti-lockdown collaboration with Van Morrison, "Stand and Deliver".
According to Variety, Clapton has been releasing anti-vaccination and anti-lockdown statements and songs for almost a year.
Clapton's next scheduled shows in the UK are at the Royal Albert Hall in May 2022 and he has a series of concerts scheduled in North America in September.
Representatives for Clapton and the Royal Albert Hall are yet to respond to Reuters' request for comment.
(Production: Mindy Burrows)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None