- Title: Madrid charity dog race promotes animal adoption
- Date: 30th December 2016
- Summary: COUNTDOWN AND RACE BEGINNING VARIOUS OF DOGS AND OWNERS LEAVING THE STARTING LINE VARIOUS OF DOGS AND PEOPLE WALKING PAST
- Embargoed: 14th January 2017 15:09
- Keywords: Dogs El Refugio Race San Perrestre Madrid Animal rights Animal adoption
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Human Interest/Brights/Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0035F2RO0P
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hundreds of dogs and their owners participated in Madrid's traditional San Perrestre dog race on Friday (December 30) to raise awareness about abandoned animals and to promote their adoption.
People of all ages and canines of all sizes participated in the event organized by El Refugio (The Refuge) animal home.
"San Perrestre is a party. Hundreds of people are here with their dogs to spend a great day. The objective is to encourage the adoption of dogs and cats. Animals should not be bought (in shops)," said Nacho Paunero, director of the animal shelter El Refugio, which organises the event.
Aside from contributing to a good cause, San Perrestre is also an opportunity for dogs and their owners to enjoy a day out in central Madrid and partake in the festive spirit ahead of the new year.
"I think they do a good job with dogs that are abandoned giving them shelter and food. They don't ask for anything in return and we have a good time with the rest of the dogs," said Javier, a participant of San Perrestre.
On Friday, El Refugio presented five dogs at the race which were up for adoption.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.