- Title: Family of U.S. Olympic flagbearer beams with pride
- Date: 23rd July 2021
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (JULY 23, 2021) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF OLYMPIC STADIUM AS FIREWORKS GO OFF
- Embargoed: 6th August 2021 15:49
- Keywords: 2020 Olympics Cuban-American Eddy Alvarez Olympics Tokyo flagbearer opening ceremony
- Location: DORAL, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES / TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: DORAL, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES / TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: USA
- Topics: Olympics,Sport,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA001EN2BAKN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: As the opening ceremony of the Tokyo Games kicked off on Friday (July 23), the parents of the United States' flagbearer Eddy Alvarez looked on with pride from Doral, Florida.
Wiping away tears, Mabel Alvarez, the mother of the Team USA baseball player, said watching him had left her speechless.
"Everything is possible in this world with God's strength. He (Eddy) has really worked hard for this. Keep moving forward," she said.
Alvarez is the first baseball player to carry the U.S. flag at an Olympic opening ceremony, according to USA Baseball.
The son of Cuban immigrants, Alvarez began his athletic career as a speed skater and won a silver medal as part of the U.S. team in the 5,000 meter relay in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
After the 2014 Olympics, Alvarez became a professional baseball player and currently plays for the Marlins, based in Miami, Florida.
Alvarez carried the flag alongside Sue Bird, the women's basketball player who plays for the Seattle Storm.
(Production: Akira Tomoshige, Pak Yiu, Arlene Eiras)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None