- Title: Wildfires turn the moon orange
- Date: 24th July 2021
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (JULY 23, 2021) (REUTERS) (MUTE) 1. TIME-LAPSE SHOWING THE FULL MOON BRIEFLY TURNING AN ORANGE HUE AS IT RISES WIDE OF FLAGS SURROUNDING THE WASHINGTON MONUMENT, ZOOM IN TO A FULL MOON AS IT TURNS ORANGE MORE OF ORANGE-TINTED MOON THE SILHOUETTE OF A MARINE ONE HELICOPTER SEEN AGAINST THE ORANGE-TINTED MOON MORE OF THE FULL MOON AS SEEN FROM THE WASHINGTON MONUMENT CLOSE OF THE MOON SEEN BETWEEN TWO U.S. FLAGS WIDE OF WASHINGTON MONUMENT MORE OF FULL MOON CLOSE OF ORANGE-TINTED MOON
- Embargoed: 7th August 2021 18:24
- Keywords: Canada Moon drift full moon northwestern United States wildfires
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Environment,United States,Weather
- Reuters ID: LVA001EN78QPZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Raging wildfires in the U.S. northwest and southwestern Canada cast an orange tint on July's full moon on Friday evening (July 23) as smoke from multiple blazes drifted towards the east.
In Washington, D.C., one view of the moon, as seen from the Washington Monument, showed a fully sized orb shifting colors and briefly turning orange. The silhouette of a Marine One helicopter flashed across the moon while it appeared to linger over federal buildings in the U.S. capital.
Dozens of major wildfires are burning across parts of Oregon, Montana, Idaho and California, with Oregon's Bootleg fire being the most massive among them.
As of Friday, the Bootleg had ripped through more than 400,000 acres (162,000 hectares) of drought-parched brush and timber and destroyed at least 67 homes near the California border. At its peak, an estimated 2,000 people were displaced by evacuations.
(Production: Pavithra George, Greg Savoy)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None