- Title: London bar offers cocktails for pet lovers and their dogs
- Date: 23rd July 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JULY 22, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DOGS DRINKING TRAY OF "PUPTAILS" - COCKTAILS FOR DOGS DOGS DRINKING PUPTAILS, DOG APPROACHING CAMERA (SOUNDBITE) (English) 35-YEAR-OLD AFTER BARK FOUNDER, JAMIE SWAN, SAYING: "Every dog is different. So we have some dogs that... oh, just they will eat anything and you have to... their carers, their parents, are quite careful about what they let them near because they just eat everything in sight. And some dogs, like my dog, who just is extremely fussy and just getting him to eat anything is a nightmare. But we find that when you present dogs, even the most fussy dogs, with things in a fun way, then they're inclined to eat or drink them, especially if they have their pup pals around and they're all doing it." DOG'S EYE VIEW (FILMED BY BERTIE THE LABRADOR) OF DOGS BEING GIVEN SHAREABLE HUMAN AND DOG TREATS VARIOUS OF 35-YEAR-OLD AFTER BARK FOUNDER, JAMIE SWAN, MAKING AND SERVING PUPTAILS VARIOUS OF DOGS DRINKING PUPTAILS (SOUNDBITE) (English) 35-YEAR-OLD AFTER BARK FOUNDER, JAMIE SWAN, SAYING: "Well actually we're fully plant based here, and that's not to say that we think that all dogs should be fully plant based, but we do think that dogs don't get enough fibre in the diet. So our menu in the cafe, and also in the bar, is very much plant-based for dogs as well as for humans. But it's about getting those good fruits and vegetables into the dog's diet in a really fun way. So we have sharable treats, which are made by a local lady, they're called Lick & Mix. And we also have them as snacks in the bar in the evening and you can have them yourself or you could share them with your dog. But the puptails, they basically consist of raw beet or raw carrot. We don't have any preservatives in anything. We have some lovely teas as well. So we have Fish Island Iced Tea, for instance, which is just for dogs, and that's got things like dandelion and burdock in, which are good for the gut and good for the overall health. So it's about wellbeing and health, as well as just a lot of fun." VARIOUS OF JARS OF SHAREABLE HUMAN AND DOG TREATS VARIOUS OF DOG ON TABLE WHILE OWNERS ENJOY COCKTAILS (SOUNDBITE) (English) 35-YEAR-OLD AFTER BARK FOUNDER, JAMIE SWAN, SAYING: "I think everyone wants to have a life and when you are a dog carer, dog parent, you do feel quite bad if you leave them alone, and especially with problems at the moment, with separation anxiety being an issue for people who have welcomed dogs into their lives when in the middle of the pandemic, and those dogs aren't used to being separated from their parents, I think it becomes all the more necessary to work out a way whereby you're not unsettling your pup, and that may be by incrementally leaving them at home on their own, but also finding spaces where you can go to together, and actually just making sure that you are split - like you would do with children. Finding family friendly places, and that family means your dog as well as yourself." DOG NAMED MISCHIEF, BEING HELD (SOUNDBITE) (English) 35-YEAR-OLD DOG OWNER, ABIGAIL DAVIS, SAYING: "Hi, I'm Abi and this is Coco." (SOUNDBITE) (English) DOG OWNER, JESS BELL, SAYING: "My name's Jess and this is Sunny." (SOUNDBITE) (English) 30-YEAR-OLD DOG OWNER, DOM MOORE, SAYING: "Hi, I'm Dom and this is Mischief." DOG'S EYE VIEW OF MEN SITTING AT BAR, PETTING DOG DOG'S EYE VIEW OF PAWS DOG'S EYE VIEW OF CUSTOMERS SITTING IN "AFTER BARK" BAR CUSTOMERS SITTING IN "AFTER BARK" BAR (SOUNDBITE) (English) DOG OWNER, JESS BELL, SAYING: "I have never been to anything like this before. The fact that the snacks are allowed to be eaten by both dogs and humans is like... Well, we share our food anyway, but I absolutely like it. And the 'Cai-paw-inhas' are delicious." (SOUNDBITE) (English) 30-YEAR-OLD DOG OWNER, DOM MOORE, SAYING: "I'm a huge fan of cocktails, and I think it's something that's desperately missing from east London around here. So love to come down here Thursday, Friday, and also it's so nice to be able to bring him along and know that he can enjoy himself in a relaxed atmosphere." SWAN MAKING COCKTAIL FOR HUMAN DOGS EYE VIEW OF DOGS PLAYING SIGN READING (English): "AFTER BARK" VARIOUS OF CUSTOMERS AND DOGS IN BAR
- Embargoed: 6th August 2021 11:02
- Keywords: After Bark Barkney Wick bar cocktails dogs drink oddly puptails
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Human Interest/Brights/Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001EN299W9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A bar in London is serving up drinks to a new breed of booze hounds, offering "puptails" such as a Bloodhound Mary or Barkarita to dogs brought along by their owners for a drink.
"After Bark", which opened in June, is the latest venture from the "Barkney Wick" dog and human community centre situated in the capital's Hackney Wick area, long a haven for artists and alternative culture.
Founder Jamie Swan, 35, told Reuters that she believes their menu of cocktails and shareable snacks is unique, offering plant-based refreshments for those for whom man's best friend can also be a drinking partner.
The dog drinks skip the alcohol, but the canines can enjoy a "Howlapaw Sling" of raw carrot juice or a "Great Expawlor" tray full of shots of apple and raw beet juices.
Owners and their pets can also share Lick & Mix treats made without sugar and salt.
Sharing a social life as well as hometime with pets is a way to ease the anxiety some families are feeling after the changes brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, Swan said.
On Thursday evening, many After Bark customers were new owners who had adopted their pets during lockdown.
Abigail Davis adopted Coco the pug after working from home left her feeling she could give the dog the attention it needed.
Labrador Bertie was picked up by owners Tom and Laurence in February for the same reason.
For those who think that "whining" and dining together is a step too far, the centre also offers dog day-care services and a cafe in the daytime until the doors to After Bark open, which Swan hopes will offer a sense of community in a part of the city accused of rapid gentrification.
(Production: Gerhard Mey, Tara Oakes)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None