- Title: Security guard at Istanbul night club recalls overnight attack
- Date: 1st January 2017
- Summary: ISTANBUL, TURKEY (JANUARY 1, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIORS OF REINA NIGHTCLUB, SITE OF ATTACK BLUE TENT OUTSIDE THE CLUB WHERE FORENSICS ARE GATHERING EVIDENCE POLICEMEN MOUNTING SECURITY POLICE VAN DRIVING PAST VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE MOUNTING SECURITY (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) SECURITY GUARD AT REINA NIGHTCLUB, EMRAH ALTUN, SAYING: "There is nothing to do. That man came in, shot at everyone and left. (Reporter asking: What do you do at the club?) I am a security guard. (Reporter asking: It is said he was wearing a santa costume?) I didn't see it. I was inside and I didn't see but I think it was not santa. I heard machine-gun fire. I ran away. What could I do? I ran away. Thank you. We are nervous for the moment. My friends can tell you (what happened) later." ALTUN WALKING OFF POLICE VAN DRIVING PAST REINA NIGHTCLUB
- Embargoed: 16th January 2017 11:36
- Keywords: Turkey attack gunfire wounded casualties nightclub gun attack security guard
- Location: ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- City: ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0015X9030N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hours after a gunman opened fire on New Year revellers at a packed Istanbul nightclub, a security guard working inside on Sunday (January 1) recalled the attack.
"That man came in, shot at everyone and left," Emrah Altun told reporters near the scene sealed off by police.
Asked to comment on reports that the perpetrator was dressed in a santa costume, Altun said "I didn't see it. I was inside and I didn't see but I think it was not santa."
"I heard machine-gun fire. I ran away. What could I do? I ran away."
The attack left 39 people dead, many of the them foreigners, and dozens wounded, according to Turkey's interior minister.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None