- Title: Trump ally Barrack arrives at court for arraignment in lobbying trial
- Date: 26th July 2021
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (JULY 26, 2021) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY*** THOMAS BARRACK, SURROUNDED BY SECURITY, LAWYERS AND MEDIA, WALKING INTO BROOKLYN FEDERAL COURT FOR HIS ARRAIGNMENT ON LOBBY CHARGES
- Embargoed: 9th August 2021 15:48
- Keywords: Barrack Trump United Arab Emirates lobbying Trial
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA001ENHB613
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Former U.S. President Donald Trump's billionaire ally Thomas Barrack arrived at a federal court in Brooklyn on Monday (July 26) to be arraigned on charges of illegal lobbying on behalf of the United Arab Emirates.
Barrack, who chaired Trump's inaugural fund and was a frequent guest at the White House, was charged with illegally lobbying the Trump administration on behalf of the UAE.
A spokesperson for Barrack said he will plead not guilty.
Barrack, 74, is a longtime Trump ally and founder of the digital infrastructure-focused private equity firm DigitalBridge Group Inc, which was known as Colony Capital Inc before a rebranding announced in June.
A seven-count indictment filed by federal prosecutors in Brooklyn accused Barrack, a former employee and an Emirati businessman of failing to register as lobbyists and using their influence to advance the UAE's foreign policy goals in the United States.
Barrack also was accused of repeatedly lying during an FBI interview about his dealings with the UAE.
(Production: Roselle Chen, Andrew Hofstetter, Soren Larson)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None