- Title: Flowers are laid outside Istanbul nightclub where 39 were killed, dozens injured
- Date: 1st January 2017
- Summary: ISTANBUL, TURKEY (JANUARY 1, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF POLICEMEN STANDING OUTSIDE NIGHT CLUB EXTERIORS OF REINA NIGHTCLUB PARKED POLICE CAR VARIOUS OF CAMERAMEN GATHERED OUTSIDE THE CLUB VARIOUS OF RED CARNATIONS LEFT UNDER POLICE FENCES FOR VICTIMS OF THE ATTACK VARIOUS OF DAMAGED BOARD VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE LINED UP OUTSIDE CLUB FORENSIC OFFICIALS STEPPING BEHIND BLUE SHEET COVERING SITE PEOPLE STANDING
- Embargoed: 16th January 2017 12:45
- Keywords: Turkey attack flowers wounded casualties nightclub carnations commemorations damage
- Location: ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- City: ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0015X90BPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:As forensic teams worked at the site of a deadly Istanbul nightclub attack on Sunday (January 1), mourners had left red carnations in memory of the victims.
A gunman had opened fire on New Year revellers at a packed nightclub on the shores of Istanbul's Bosphorus waterway, killing at least 39 people, including many foreigners, then fled the scene.
Nationals of Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Lebanon, Libya, Israel and Belgium were among those killed, officials said. France said three of its citizens were wounded.
Turkey is part of the U.S.-led coalition against Islamic State and launched an incursion into Syria in August to drive the radical Sunni militants from its borders. It also helped broker a fragile ceasefire in Syria with Russia.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None