- Title: Dixie fire continues to rage in northern California
- Date: 26th July 2021
- Summary: BUTTE COUNTY, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (JULY 24, 2021) (REUTERS) FLAMES OVER TREELINE SMOKE AND FLAMES FLAMES OVER TREES FLAMES IN RED-TINGED FOREST SCENE FLAMES OVER TREES
- Embargoed: 9th August 2021 15:23
- Keywords: Butte County California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection Dixie fire wildfire
- Location: BUTTE COUNTY, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: BUTTE COUNTY, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,United States,Wildfires/Forest Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA001ENHASLJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Dixie Fire in northern California raged over the weekend as it converged with another wildfire, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.
The blaze has incinerated more than 190,000 acres (77,000 hectares) and officials warned that smoke columns could spawn lightning storms capable of igniting more fires.
The Dixie fire was only 21% contained as of Sunday (July 25), according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
With the Dixie fire encroaching, the Plumas County Sheriff's Office issued mandatory evacuation orders for the eastern shore of Lake Almanor where "personnel are conducting door to door notifications."
An evacuation shelter was established in the city of Susanville, and five other areas were placed under evacuation warnings.
The conflagrations in the U.S. West, marking a heavier-than-normal start of the wildfire season, have coincided with record-shattering heat that has baked much of the region in recent weeks and caused hundreds of deaths.
(Production: Kristin Neubauer)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None