- Title: U.S. CDC recommends vaccinated Americans wear masks indoors in many cases
- Date: 28th July 2021
- Summary: INTERNET (FILE) (REUTERS) (MUTE) VARIOUS SCREENGRABS FROM THE U.S. CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION (CDC) WEBSITE SHOWING A GRAPHIC MAP OF THE U.S. ILLUSTRATING THE CURRENT LEVEL OF COMMUNITY TRANSMISSION IN THE COUNTRY, WITH RED AREAS REPRESENTING "HIGH" TRANSMISSION AND ORANGE AREAS REPRESENTING "SUBSTANTIAL" TRANSMISSION. THE DIFFERENT COLORS REPRESENT TOTAL NEW CASES PER PER 100,000 PERSONS IN THE PAST 7 DAYS. RED INDICATED OVER 100 NEW CASES PER 100,000 PERSONS, ORANGE INDICATING 50-99 CASES PER 100,000 PERSONS, YELLOW OR "MODERATE" TRANSMISSION INDICATES 10-49 CASES PER 100,000 PERSONS AND BLUE OR "LOW" TRANSMISSION INDICATES 0-9 CASES PER 100,000 PERSONS. (2 SHOTS)
- Embargoed: 11th August 2021 00:35
- Keywords: CDC Fauci NIH PBS NewsHour coronavirus covid fully vaccinated people indoor mask wearing mask and vaccine mandates students
- Location: BETHESDA, MARYLAND, UNITED STATES + INTERNET
- City: BETHESDA, MARYLAND, UNITED STATES + INTERNET
- Country: USA
- Topics: Health/Medicine,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA002ENMBC5J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Americans fully vaccinated against COVID-19 should go back to wearing masks in indoor public places in regions where the coronavirus is spreading rapidly, U.S. health authorities said on Tuesday (July 27).
In a toughening of guidance issued earlier this month, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) also recommended all students, teachers and staff at schools for kindergarten through 12th grade wear masks regardless of whether they were vaccinated.
"We are dealing with an evasive type of an a virus, it evolves," the nation's top infectious disease official, Dr. Anthony Fauci, said on the PBS NewsHour after the announcement.
"So it isn't a question of the CDC flip-flopping in a vacuum. They are keeping up with the evolution of what's going on with the virus," he said.
U.S. coronavirus cases have been rising due to the highly contagious Delta variant, which emerged in India but has quickly spread and now accounts for more than 80% of U.S. coronavirus cases.
U.S. President Joe Biden said that increased vaccination and mask wearing would help the United States avoid the pandemic lockdowns, shutdowns and school closures that the country faced in 2020.
The CDC said that 63.4% of U.S. counties had transmission rates high enough to warrant indoor masking and should immediately resume the policy. Manhattan, Los Angeles and San Francisco meet the transmission criteria as does the entire state of Florida, but Chicago and Detroit do not.
The United States leads the world in the daily average number of new infections, accounting for one in every nine cases reported worldwide each day. The seven-day average for new cases has been rising sharply and stands at 57,126, still about a quarter of the pandemic peak.
(Production: Mana Rabiee)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains computer game or software screenshots. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.