- Title: England scraps quarantine for fully-vaccinated EU, U.S. visitors
- Date: 28th July 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - JANUARY 18, 2021) (VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS) INTERNATIONAL ARRIVALS AREA AT HEATHROW AIRPORT
- Embargoed: 11th August 2021 15:11
- Keywords: Britain travel COVID-19 Grant Shapps UK-Europe UK-U.S. coronavirus covid quarantine
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ENR9TFR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: England will allow fully vaccinated visitors from the European Union and United States to arrive without quarantine from next week, the transport minister said on Wednesday (July 28), in a huge and long-awaited boost for airlines and travel companies.
The government said in a statement that from August 2 travellers with U.S. and EU-approved vaccines would not have to quarantine.
The opening up of England would likely be followed by the rest of the United Kingdom.
Travellers will, however, still have to take a COVID-19 test before departure and soon after arrival in England, transport minister Grant Shapps said.
Quarantine for fully vaccinated Britons returning to the UK from medium risk countries was scrapped on July 19, helping to kickstart a travel recovery, but frequent rule changes over the last two months mean travel is still plagued by uncertainty.
Moreover, the U.S. remains shut to British visitors so for the transatlantic carriers like British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, planes will primarily be carrying U.S. citizens to England.
Shares in British Airways were up 3% while easyJet rose 4% and Wizz Air jumped 5%.
(Production: Lucy Marks)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None